Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why no have a solid state amp section too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no have a solid state amp section too?

Well I guess I'm gonna get flamed here but here goes...

T boy, why not add a solid state section to Ampage as there are a few that also enjoy the SS amps.

On another note, even though I love the tube amp tone, there was a few SS amps I did like as well. I just won a peavey renown made in 1981 from Ebay and its being shipped to me next week. I used to use one of these in the club days of mid 80's and ran it thru a 4x12 marshall B cab. That amp pegged the 80's rock tone pretty darn good. That amp even though it was a SS design used a output trannie to mimic tube tone. I remember liking it then. I guess I'll see if I still like it now when I get it.

SLO

Well I have nothing against solid state. The Princeton CHorus is a cool little amp, and the PV Bandit amps are not bad either. SOme folks are snooty about SS vs tube, but most of us are tolerant. I respond to most SS threads.

On the other hand, I think we already have too many sections and sub-sections. We already have guitar amps as a section. WHat is wrong with that? You want to talk about your GK something or other, or your HArtke, hey post away.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hey Enzo,
      Yeah, your probably right about too many subsections here.

BTW, I wanted to ask since you mention about GK amps, I seen a GK ML250 a while back on Ebay and it was going cheap cause it was not working.
      I was thinking about buying it but didn't because I read some where when these burn up they destroy the circuit boards. Is that true?

I had some buddies back in the 80's that had a few of these ML250s and they all blew up. Was that from a poor heat sink problem on the output transistors?

These were great sounding little amps too if memory serves me correct.

SLO

Comment

Here is a cool SS forum:

http://www.ssguitar.com/

Seem like decent, knowledgeable guys.

steve

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
        Hey Enzo,
        Yeah, your probably right about too many subsections here.

BTW, I wanted to ask since you mention about GK amps, I seen a GK ML250 a while back on Ebay and it was going cheap cause it was not working.
        I was thinking about buying it but didn't because I read some where when these burn up they destroy the circuit boards. Is that true?

I had some buddies back in the 80's that had a few of these ML250s and they all blew up. Was that from a poor heat sink problem on the output transistors?

These were great sounding little amps too if memory serves me correct.

SLO

Comment

The little 250MKs WERE cool amps. A lot of sound from that little aluminum box. And they worked pretty well, but were indeed prone to blowing up. I bever bothered to figure out why they blew up. The whole amp was a heat sink, but I don't know how efficient it was at cooling the xstrs.

When they failed at all it was usually the whole output section, but I don't recall a lot of charcoal boards, just bad parts.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X