$49 CELESTION deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $49 CELESTION deal

Carvin.com has the well regarded G12T-75-16 CELESTION SPEAKER on sale for $49. or about $60 cheaper than MF

note its the 16ohm version

Great price, but...

The G12T-75's are rather mid-scooped sounding to my ear. Marshall uses them in many of the cabs (4x12, 2x12, etc), but most people I know of rip them out and replace them with something that has a more balanced response.

Comment

Many like scooped mids
      and/or
      scooped mids > expensive

true a bargain is not much of a bargain if you don't like what you are buying...

my OP had an (implied) "Caveat Emptor"!

Comment

It still *is* the most used "Marshall speaker".
        I would buy a truckload of them at that price if I were in the USA and happily use them.
        And if a client asked for something else .... no problem, it's his money.
        49 bucks? I bet I could sell a ton of low cost, 2x12", celestion equipped cabinets on EBay.
        Forget the "boutique market".
        Thanks tedmich, it was good info.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I agree. It's a classic speaker, and it held up well in the Rivera shootout video.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Does anyone know if the sale speaker is made by Celestion in England or Gold Peak in China?

Gold Peak Industries owns Celestion, and the Chinese versions, while less pricey, are not quite the Celestion we all know and love. Not bad, but not Celestion, if you know what I mean.
            John R. Frondelli
            dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I agree, $49 is a killer deal. Interestingly, Steve, it was the Rivera shootout that made me decide to pass on this speaker. I thought it had an annoyingly fizzy top end. That just goes to show, tone is a very subjective thing.
              "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
                Does anyone know if the sale speaker is made by Celestion in England or Gold Peak in China?

Gold Peak Industries owns Celestion, and the Chinese versions, while less pricey, are not quite the Celestion we all know and love. Not bad, but not Celestion, if you know what I mean.
                John, I have to admit that I've never done A/B comparisons with brand new UK celestions and brand new China celestions. Are you aware of anyone who's done a side by side comparison? Given all of the talk there has been about the China speakers being inferior, I'd think that by now somebody would have done a Rivera type video. I haven't seen one yet.
                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Gold Peak Industries owns Celestion
                  *All* of it, in China *and* in UK, and I very much doubt that any given model is made at the same time in UK and in China, so a real "mano a mano" comparison is unlikely.
                  AFAIK 90% or more is being made in China and only a couple expensive models in UK.
                  I guess those G12T75, being the most produced model, must be Chinese, unless they are UK made NOS quite covered in dust and spiderwebs by now.
                  Main production was moved from UK to China (HK or Taiwan originally, not PRC) more than 10 years ago.
                  They are what they are, what irks me is not the price (that's up to them and the Market to decide) but that they *nowhere* state "made in China", and by stamping the UK office address both in labels and boxes, they deceive 99% of customers into thinking (and gladly paying) "UK made" prices.
                  They must laugh all the way to the Bank.
                  Those $49 must be OEM price and probably they are not losing any money on them, just reclaiming some already spent cash.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post

its says Ipswich England all over it and in the spec sheet from Celestion FWIW...

Comment

Interesting... You can just about make out the "Ipswich, England" on the picture on Carvin's site.

But on Celestion's own site, the speaker has a different label that just says "Celestion International, Ltd."
                      http://professional.celestion.com/gu...ge/G12T-75.jpg

Read into this what you will.

I thought Celestion had moved production to China, I didn't realise they'd been bought by the guys who make GP batteries. They also own KEF.
                      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

żIs it me or the page display changed?
                        Now I see a huge column on the eft, which uses 35% of the screen width just for the poster's name and little else.
                        Also the main answer text often gets formatted in long irregular columns, with short text lines.
                        I find it less efficient than the older one, although, of course, it may happen only on my computer.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                        X