5Y3 EZ81?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5Y3 EZ81?

I'm going to do a Vox ish build, the last piece of the puzzle is the rectifier.

Other than noval / octal what is the difference?

The EZ81 has a 6.3 volt heater that's insulated from the cathode, so the rectifier can run off the same heater supply as the other tubes. The maximum output voltage spec is fairly low, so as not to overstress this insulation.

The 5Y3 has a 5 volt filament that is also the cathodes, hence it needs a separate floating heater winding.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      The EZ81 has a 6.3 volt heater that's insulated from the cathode, so the rectifier can run off the same heater supply as the other tubes. The maximum output voltage spec is fairly low, so as not to overstress this insulation.

The 5Y3 has a 5 volt filament that is also the cathodes, hence it needs a separate floating heater winding.
      Thanks Steve, the I guess I'm looking to get a 315V B+ according to the Vox Schematic. before I grab one and shove it in, I'm going to try and check my transformers voltages tonight.

Comment

The EZ81 also shows a low voltage drop: typically 15V @100 mA vs. app. 45V for a 5Y3GT.

Comment

It's not very good practice though to run the EZ80/81 heaters off the same circuit as the other tube heaters (as Vox did). The EZ81 when it shorts, tends to put HT on the heater supply, which then burns out your heater wiring, your other tubes' filaments, and your mains transformer.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex R View Post
            It's not very good practice though to run the EZ80/81 heaters off the same circuit as the other tube heaters (as Vox did). The EZ81 when it shorts, tends to put HT on the heater supply, which then burns out your heater wiring, your other tubes' filaments, and your mains transformer.
            I just looked at Weber's page, I wonder if the pile of 1N4007 diodes in my toolbox would do just as good a job?
            I'm planning on using a choke, is this going to give me enough sag / compression?

Comment

Working...
            X