EF86 preamplifier suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giaime View Post
    Is there a lesser famous alternative to EF86? I'm willing to experiment. I've heard of E80F, and maybe octal pentodes are more immune to microphonics due to the larger contact area.
    The EF184/6EJ7 is a cheaper alternative to the EF86.

Running a 12AX7 in SRPP will get you the harmonically rich, mid-heavy cream of the EF86, but lacks some of the top-end sparkle.

Comment

Originally posted by octal View Post
      I have heard that both of those pentodes "sound bad"-whatever that means.

Good luck!
      They just don't sound that good, which I found somewhat disappointing.
      Maybe, they would work better as a tremolo oscillator, but even if it could, my first choice would be using a FET for that, and not a tube.

-g
      Last edited by mooreamps; 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM. Reason: asdf

Comment

Originally posted by mooreamps View Post
        They just don't sound that good, which I found somewhat disappointing.
        -g
        Well, if I'd have known that the 'internet hearsay' was from you, I would have taken it a bit more seriously. I didn't remember where I read that....

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Giaime View Post
          Thank you for your replies.

About the 6 way tone selector switch on the Matchless DC30, do you think it's a keeper or it is better to use a "tone" control knob? I think that the basic function of low-pass filtering is already embedded in the guitar tone knob, so it's useless to duplicate it in the amp: better to have an high-pass tone control like the 6 way switch.
          The Matchless rotary switch on the DC30's pentode channel is, in fact, a high-pass filter, switching in gradually larger coupling caps. Very simple and effective. I like this better than a bass control, because your rolloff point is actually changing, not just the level.
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Originally posted by imbuedblue View Post
            The EF184/6EJ7 is a cheaper alternative to the EF86.
            What about the PF86? I can get them cheap, and only a 6ohm resistor is needed to run them on 6.3V.

Comment

So, I've set my mind on a Celestion Vintage 30, in a small open back cabinet (think Fender BJ for the size and style). Do you think it would be good, or it's too shrill and edgy? My friend has to play rhythm guitar role: he likes bright cones, but the V30 may be too much. Maybe the Eminence Red Coat series are better (which one)?

Comment

I guess I'll continue lonely...

I decided for the Eminence Red Coat Private Jack. What about the impedance? In a small 1x12" combo, is it better to use 8 ohm or 16 ohm, to give the possibility of using an external cabinet instead of the internal speaker (or both toghether)?

Comment

I don't know that one is "better" than the other. What taps do you have on your output transformer? Obviously, if your X-mer has a 8 and 4 ohm taps you can run an internal 8 ohm spkr with the option of adding a external 8 ohm cab. If you have 8 and 16 ohm taps, perhaps a 16 ohm speaker with an optional 16 ohm cab, or an 8 with the option of putting another 8 in series. I generally think that it's better to parallel speakers ...better power sharing if you use mismatched speakers, less risk of damage to the amp if one speaker voice coil blows and opens up.

Comment

Sorry if I didn't write about it: I'm having the transformer custom made, I usually specify 0-8-16ohm secondary on the output transformer...

Comment

Working...
                    X