Need help identifying components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying components

I'm hoping someone could help me identify these old parts. I don't know how to determine whether or not they are any good because I don't know what they are. I assume that they are some obsolete style of capacitor. The printing on them makes no sense to me.

They are shiny, dark green hollow tubes. The print on them is: #1: Mallory 1HJ250 #2: Mallory 2HJ1250 #3: 509-5 (the last digit is unclear, looks like a 5)

Web search doesn't really turn up anything useful.

In the photo they are the three parts above the Micamold Tropicaps.

they are old wire wound power resistors; resistance wire wound around a ceramic tube and dipped into epoxy I think. You can guess their power rating in watts by comparing them to modern units at Mouser as their design hasn't changed much in the last few decades, and just read their ohms with a DMM.

They are usually quite inductive (a coil right?) so metal oxide is a better choice in many circuits.

Comment

Power R

That Tranny still looks good What is that thing

Comment

Unfortunately it does not look as good from the top side and doesn't work yet.
        It's the power amp chassis from a late '50s Baldwin Model 40 organ. I have a thread going about it in the "conversions" forum. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t19747/

Comment

notice the maximal distance between tranny and tubes ('cept the rectifier)

Made for a better noise situation but they are easy to drop if you aren't careful...

Comment

Baldwin

I hope you make a power amp with it

Comment

Working...
            X