500PF Mica Cap ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500PF Mica Cap ??

I have a 100 watt Marshall and I saw some Dogbone Mica caps. All it says is EM 500pf I want to use them on V-2 in the tone to pin#8 and from the bright to pin#2.How do you tell how much voltage they can take.

I have a 100 watt Marshall
    WHICH one?
    Please post a link to its schematic or V1, V2, etc. will mean different things to different people.
    That said, they will probably be rated for 500V, which is more than anything you'll find anywhere in that chassis.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

old Marshall? A dogbone shape cap should be a ceramic and not mica. Presumably, someone started calling them that due to the shape (sort of a hollow tube tapered out on the ends). Later ones seem to have had more conformal coating on the outside so the hollow part is filled in.

Comment

Mica Cap

The Marshall is a 1959 SLP Plexi ri. V1 is the first preamp tube ect.

Comment

Mica caps in amps nowadays are usually rated at 500V.
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

the CDE Mica's at Mouser are 500v for 500pF at $1.76, while some 510pF are 100v for ~$9 (?)

Weber's are 0.60

Comment

the CDE Mica's at Mouser are 500v for 500pF at $1.76, while some 510pF are 100v for ~$9 (?)

Weber's are 0.60
              Obviously the "$0.10 510pFx100V garden variety disc ceramic caps charged $9 each are "audiophile grade". Maybe they were dipped in orange epoxy or some other Mojo approved color and now the inscriptions are in Cyrillic or, even better, in Klingon.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                Obviously the "$0.10 510pFx100V garden variety disc ceramic caps charged $9 each are "audiophile grade". Maybe they were dipped in orange epoxy or some other Mojo approved color and now the inscriptions are in Cyrillic or, even better, in Klingon.
                Nah they were all CDE Mica's so I was surprised when the 100v 510pF was ~5 times more expensive than the 500v 500pF unit...

Webers are probably ceramic inside and likely few (any?) can tell the difference

Comment

Working...
                X