No announcement yet.

R.I.P. CV4004.....Any tube sob stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. CV4004.....Any tube sob stories?

This one with about 10 hours of use slipped from my hand and hit the shop floor, breaking the nipple off.
    It looks like "The vacuum got out"
    Does anyone else have any pics/stories about losing a perfectly good tube through a stupid mistake ?[IMG][/IMG]

I did the same thing with a NOS Tesla EL34...an $80 mistake.

Comment

I had an Amperex el84 roll off a tray and onto the concrete floor, knocking off just the tip, but that's all it takes. I also dropped and cracked a nice old RCA 6v6 a couple of weeks ago. It seems that I manage to break 3 or 4 tubes a year. I save some for close inspection of the innards. Jon

Comment

Not by accident, but I have a beautiful looking old Mullard EL34 that is bad that I can't seem to throw away......

Comment

No matter how much drunk people enjoy your playing, never let them help you pack. About ten years ago I lost one of my 6L6s in my Vibrolux Reverb when overzealous patron decided to help me pack and assumed that I used the back of my amplifer for storage.

I guess guys did that before there were gig bags, but I don't even keep the footswitch there until I get the amp safely home.

Comment

While I was organizing my stock of tubes last summer, a boxed NOS Mullard EL84 fell onto the carpet of my music room floor unbeknownst to me and I accidently stepped on it.

Comment

BTW the innards of this broken CV4004 were impressive- The grid wires and rods were very beefy. I could barely bend them without pliers, nice thick cathode coating.

Comment

I keep thick, nice carpeting in most of my shop, except for the place where my bench drill and other stuff resides. That has saved a couple of tubes from going to tube heaven. However, if you have a matched pair and happen to drop one - forget about those tubes matching again - unless you drop the other one the exact same way of course! Can't recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by jakehop View Post
                  I keep thick, nice carpeting in most of my shop, except for the place where my bench drill and other stuff resides. That has saved a couple of tubes from going to tube heaven. However, if you have a matched pair and happen to drop one - forget about those tubes matching again - unless you drop the other one the exact same way of course! Can't recommend it.
                  LOL!!! Really.

Comment

Flipped a Music Man over on the cradle and snapped off three out of four almost new original Sylvania 6CA7's. THAT will pi$$ you off. AND they were mine!

Comment

Working...
                    X