To add a standby switch or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To add a standby switch or not?

Classic 30, 4 el84's at 30 watts. Modded to cathode biased. I use it for just a few minutes here and there usually 3-5 times a day for an average of 5-10 minutes.

Seems like that would wear the tubes pretty quick, or is there a reason it doesn't need one? If it does, anyone know a schematic i could copy the switch from or are they all pretty much the same?

If you want one, just break the B+ somewhere. A real easy spot is the two red wires from the transformer. Insert a switch there and it turns the B+ off and on. DOn't even have to pull the boards.

But really, why bother? Back when everything was tubes, table radios and TVs didn't have standby switches. Nor did the Hifi in the rec room. On somethng that small, I don't think cathode stripping is an actual issue.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I just wasn't sure, but if you think it's not a problem i won't bother. I just figured that being turned on and off so many times it might be a problem. Guess i'll just get a new set of 84's and swap them out to see if they sound the same of not, then put the old ones back in if they sound the same. Thanks Enzo.

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      If you want one, just break the B+ somewhere. A real easy spot is the two red wires from the transformer. Insert a switch there and it turns the B+ off and on. DOn't even have to pull the boards.

But really, why bother? Back when everything was tubes, table radios and TVs didn't have standby switches. Nor did the Hifi in the rec room. On somethng that small, I don't think cathode stripping is an actual issue.

Comment

I'm not one to want to start arguments, but I'd have to say that adding a stand-by switch to a [Peavey] Classic 30, IMO is an excellent idea (as I have done it to many of them). PERHAPS not so much for the cathode stripping factor as for the purpose of maintaining the tubes (and amp) at a "warmed-up" state for when you are say, going on break (or something similar), and will be playing again, but still want to give the amp/tubes a chance to partially cool, especially since EL84's give off alot of heat for their size, even when you're not playing. As far as installing it goes, I hope you're somewhat experienced with dissassembly/re-assembly, working with P.C. boards, etc. for as much as I like the Classic 30's, they are a bit tedious to work with, especially if you aren't familiar with them.
        Mac/Amps
        "preserving the classics"
        Chicago, Il., USA
        (773) 283-1217
        (cell) (847) 772-2979
        Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
        www.mac4amps.com

Comment

I only play out 2-3 times a year anymore so thats really not a concern. Cathode stripping was my only concern due to my turning it on for a few minutes at a time at home 4 or 5 times a day. As for disassembly, i've modded it and had the boards out many times so yeah, i'm very familiar with what a PITA it is. (especially when it comes to those board jumpers breaking !)

Originally posted by mac1amps View Post
          I'm not one to want to start arguments, but I'd have to say that adding a stand-by switch to a [Peavey] Classic 30, IMO is an excellent idea (as I have done it to many of them). PERHAPS not so much for the cathode stripping factor as for the purpose of maintaining the tubes (and amp) at a "warmed-up" state for when you are say, going on break (or something similar), and will be playing again, but still want to give the amp/tubes a chance to partially cool, especially since EL84's give off alot of heat for their size, even when you're not playing. As far as installing it goes, I hope you're somewhat experienced with dissassembly/re-assembly, working with P.C. boards, etc. for as much as I like the Classic 30's, they are a bit tedious to work with, especially if you aren't familiar with them.

Comment

It is only an argument when we get angry over it. Discussion of alternative viewpoints is welcome.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X