Aging a chome tele neck cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aging a chome tele neck cover

Hey guys. Just curious about tips for this.

I marked where the strings go, put tape on, and used some polishing cloth to put the scratches in between, but I dont like the lines made by the tape. I try wrapping the paper around a qtip and such, but it still looks kinda eh. I take the tape off and try to blend the lines, and it doesnt seem to work to well.

Whats your method?

achase youv'e bin here a long time and not using the search. 53 replies here. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t1318/

Comment

True, but I'm looking for more info specific to the lines on a Tele neck cover - not a real beat up look. The ones I see in the blackguard book are still shiny, with scratches between the string areas. So I was curious if anyone has another way to create the lines/spaces than my method...

Comment

I rarely see covers with stripes on tele neck covers just some pitting and pick scratches. If you really wanted to, you could set up a jig to replicate this and if you leave the contraption going long enough, you'll get stripes.
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Put the pickup on a guitar, adjust it too close to the strings, and play it for a few years.

If you make a cover that looks worn now, what is it going to look like in 20 years?
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Yea, the jig part is what Im trying to figure out. I spose it would be easier to just take some sheen off and put light pick scratches and some small dings in it.

Chrome doesnt seem to want to look dull easy, its either scratched to hell or shiny. Gotta figure out how to sand it to make it look right.

David - yea, but thats not really my concern. Just tryin to figure out how to do it to make the customers happy... Im not really into the relic thing but, Id like to know how to do it when they ask.

Comment

Originally posted by achase4u View Post
              David - yea, but thats not really my concern. Just tryin to figure out how to do it to make the customers happy... Im not really into the relic thing but, Id like to know how to do it when they ask.
              Don't get yourself into something you don't want to do. It's OK to say no. I get asked for certain things, but I don't do them, and I say so. Half the time they buy something anyway.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I suppose your right - but isnt work all about doing things you dont wanna do? :-P

Comment

but isnt work all about doing things you dont wanna do? :-P
                  It shouldn't be. I like what I do.

Comment

I don't age a thing and I tell people so. It'll get there, just takes time.
                    www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Even vintage tele chrome covers don't look really old after fifty years. I figured out how to age chrome but its not easy and all I'll say is you have to buy some extra gear to do it....
                      here's pix of unrelic and relic.
                      Attached Files
                      http://www.SDpickups.com
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

True...

Dave - yea I bet - and chromes covers really do look new after a long time. Only some scratches on top.

All I really want to do is make the scratches from the pick look natural on top. Guess I'll put on tape and use a pick to scratch it!

Comment

True...

Dave - yea I bet - and chromes covers really do look new after a long time. Only some scratches on top.

All I really want to do is make the scratches from the pick look natural on top. Guess I'll put on tape and use a pick to scratch it!
                          Stick it in your pocket with some change for a few days. Worked wonders on my phone.

Comment

HA - how true :-)

My damn phones break in my pocket, get worn down...

Comment

Do I recall hearing that one maker leaves some of their parts in the Shop-Vac for a spell??

Bob Palmieri

Comment

Working...
                              X