Mystery maker or just a joke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery maker or just a joke?

Hey guys, do you have any comment about this?
    BG Pups Handwound Guitar Pickups by Bryan Gunsher
    Thanks in advance.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Thanks in advance.
    He's neither. He's one of the many boutique winders there are out there.

In certain guitar-oriented forums he seems to have a pretty good reputation.

I can't comment about his products as I've never came across any of his'... which is understandable considering I come from Italy.

I wonder why would you consider him either "Mystery maker" or "just a joke"? I find it pretty insulting, BTW.
    Last edited by LtKojak; 06-23-2010, 02:59 PM.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

Hi Pepe/Lt. Kojak..
      I wonder why would you consider him either "Mystery maker" or "just a joke"? I find it pretty insulting, BTW.
      I guess you did not actually *read* what's written in the link I posted.
      As a free sample:

About US

BG Pups resides in a log cabin nestled deep in the woods of the western slope of the sierra nevada mountains in northern california. In all of my centuries of testing I've found that if you want a woody sound to your pickup, you need to surround yourself with lots of wood. Hence the reason we live in a log cabin in the woods. Our magnetically charged wooden ions are killer in these parts.

All of my pups are wound on a magical scatter winder that winds in both directions. Fender and Gibson. Every few hundred winds or so I apply a special brew to the coil. This brew was given to me by an old Haitian voodoo priestess I met in the swamps of Florida many years ago while I was searching for the age old question, alnico 2 or alnico 5. She told me this brew contained bodily fluids of a few semi famous blues players who had sold there souls to the devil throughout the years and it would bring great tone and phrasing to all who possessed just a small portion of this potion.

Once the pickup is wound to the precise ratio of scatter to parallel layers it is removed from the magical scatter winder and placed on an assembly alter. This alter is specially made from the heartwood of a pinion tree that grew in the Cathedral Rock Vortex in Sedona Arizona. The magnetically charged ions in this wood helps add to the mojo of the alnico. This is also where the hook up wires are attached and final assembly is done. We disassemble many, many old radios for the classic old wire that gave these old beasts their distinctive tone. once we have gathered enough of this ancient wire, we take it to the sacred salvage yard and sell it so we can buy new reliable hookup wires for your magical transducer.

Now that the pickup is assembled, it is prepared to be baptized in heated wax. Before being dunked into the enhanced mixture of waxes from around the world, the pups are blessed by my friend who is a Buddhist monk. He chants over each pup for a specific period of time to ensure many years of good karma is installed within the coils. He then carefully places each pup into the wax to make sure all his good karma was sealed properly into the pickup.

All pups are then play tested to verify that the mojo is getting along properly with the karma.
      Once this is verified they are sent to their new owners who have been waiting patiently for the creation of their new BG Pups.

All in all I make wonderfully unique sounding pickups that I stand behind 100%. They are made with top quality components and wire and the utmost care and attention to detail is given to every pup I make. I don't just make them, I play them also. You can listen to my music on my "Sounds" page. So it's important to me that each model pup cuts through in a band situation.

I hope you'll be playing them soon.

Bryan Gunsher
      BG Pups
      Notice I didn't worry or care about the usual self-enhancing babble, but was intrigued (to put it mildly) about the kranky overtones I found on that page.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Even old Chinaman like Sam know how to spell altar.

Comment

OR, it could be considered a humorous kick in the b-tt towards pickups winders using all the “mojo” wording these guys spill around their own work. To me this is just so over the top that he cannot be serious. I thought it was rather funny…

Comment

I think that's very funny.....He obviously has a good understanding of the world of pickup making. I love that bit about taking the wire from old radios to the Sacred Salvage Yard.

Comment

Bryan is legitmate and a reputable pickup maker. And he is a member of this forum. I have spoken to him on numerous occasions on a variety of topics. If *YOU* read what he wrote, it's supposed to be funny.

It's really not a good idea to post these kinds of threads and rag on folks.
              www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
                I think that's very funny.....He obviously has a good understanding of the world of pickup making. I love that bit about taking the wire from old radios to the Sacred Salvage Yard.
                Me too! A really inspired comic touch.

Bob Palmieri

Comment

You bet I *did* read what he wrote, and commented on its salient points.
                  Besides, I got there because of comments on other Forums; those weren't exactly laudatory. (And no, I didn't quote any of them here, have I?)
                  Since I gave him the benefit of the doubt my question had two possible answers:
                  Is this a Joke? (That should include the idea of "funny", "humorous" and "not serious")
                  or
                  Is this a krank?.
                  And why should I even consider the idea of finding that a kranky page *might* have been written by , let's say, some "special" person?
                  Well, let's say it this way: after "centuries" in this industry , I have found my fair share of excentrics, characters , and the like.
                  Haven't you? .... I would be most surprised.
                  Thanks to all who answered, now I consider the "mystery" solved.
                  Last edited by J M Fahey; 06-23-2010, 02:42 PM. Reason: Crazy new emoticons
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                    You bet I *did* read what he wrote, and commented on its salient points.
                    Besides, I got there because of comments on other Forums; those weren't exactly laudatory. (And no, I didn't quote any of them here, have I?)
                    Since I gave him the benefit of the doubt my question had two possible answers:
                    Is this a Joke? (That should include the idea of "funny", "humorous" and "not serious")
                    or
                    Is this a krank?.
                    And why should I even consider the idea of finding that a kranky page *might* have been written by , let's say, some "special" person?
                    Well, let's say it this way: after "centuries" in this industry , I have found my fair share of excentrics, characters , and the like.
                    Haven't you? .... I would be most surprised.
                    Thanks to all who answered, now I consider the "mystery" solved.
                    What is a krank page?
                    This was written as a light hearted bit of humor for those who can have a sense of humor while being on a tone quest.
                    There's way too much serious non sense about tone, so I wrote this for those who understand and can appreciate it.

Why am I a mystery maker? I might not be very popular but I've been a pro player for 30 years and making pickups for about a 3rd of that time and have a successful business doing so.
                    Bryan Gunsher
                    http://www.bg-pups.com
                    https://www.facebook.com/BGPups

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
                      Bryan is legitmate and a reputable pickup maker. And he is a member of this forum. I have spoken to him on numerous occasions on a variety of topics. If *YOU* read what he wrote, it's supposed to be funny.

It's really not a good idea to post these kinds of threads and rag on folks.
                      Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the support and kind words.
                      Bryan Gunsher

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                        OR, it could be considered a humorous kick in the b-tt towards pickups winders using all the “mojo” wording these guys spill around their own work. To me this is just so over the top that he cannot be serious. I thought it was rather funny…
                        Thanks Peter..I'm glad you got it. Thanks again.
                        Bryan Gunsher

Comment

Hi Bryan, thanks for answering.
                          As you can see, I *never* spoke anything personal about you (I don't know you) nor about your products (same reason).
                          What I did is *ask* about a page that certainly piqued my interest, I'm sure you wrote that one on purpose.
                          *Now* I know you wrote it tongue-in-cheek, good!!!
                          What is a krank page?
                          Any page that writes *obvious* nonsense.
                          ¿Shouldn't nonsense be considered funny automatically?
                          Not automatically, maybe it's good to ask somebody who might know better. (Just what I did)
                          What's the best place to ask?: a respected Pickup makers Forum (Just what I did)
                          Did it clear my doubts? It did.
                          The key to all this was written by yourself:
                          There's way too much serious non sense about tone
                          to which I agree 100%.
                          kick in the b-tt towards pickups winders using all the “mojo” wording
                          You agree with this; me too.
                          Now, *how* would I know, beforehand, why did the author of that page write that?
                          After all, he *did* use all "the mojo words".
                          In fact, I did not find the part about (presumably putrid) "bodily fluids of a few semi famous blues players" very funny at all. It's a disgusting image. Did anybody find *that* funny?
                          Just for you to see that I had *already* answered praising you on foreign Forums (where I learnt about your page), I'll cut and paste my answer there, which I wrote not in response to your posting, but way *before* you even wrote it.
                          Sorry if it's in Portugese but it's a Brazilian Forum.
                          (Yes, bad news travel far).
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          23 jun (23 horas atrás)

Bom, perguntei para alguns colegas nos USA e me contestaram que o cara é sério e os captadores são bons, mas ele escreveu *essa* página brincando com os imbécis que lhe encheram o saco perguntando imbecilidades.
                          "I asked some colleages in USA , they answered the guy is serious and the pickups are good; he wrote *that* page (it was quoted verbatim, plus the link to it) as a joke directed to the imbeciles who drove him nuts asking imbecile things."
                          >>J M Fahey Senior Member Join Date Oct 2007
                          Location Buenos Aires, Argentina Posts 690

Mystery maker or just a joke?

Thanks in advance.

Respostas: (answers)
                          >He's neither. He's one of the many boutique winders there are out there.
                          In certain guitar-oriented forums he seems to have a pretty good reputation.

>Even old Chinaman like Sam know how to spell altar.

>OR, it could be considered a humorous kick in the b-tt towards pickups winders using all the “mojo” wording these guys spill around their own work. To me this is just so over the top that he cannot be serious. I thought it was rather funny…

>I think that's very funny.....

>Bryan is legitmate and a reputable pickup maker. And he is a member of this forum.

>Me too! A really inspired comic touch.

Bom, básicamente é isso, foi uma piada . (Well, that's basically it, it was a joke)
                          I think my questions and answers were clean and to the point.
                          Anyway, if any of this was inconvenient to you, I deeply and profusely apologize for it.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I thought it was funny and well thought up. A breath of fresh air and a welcome deviation from all the other self promotional swill that is out there. Well done Bryan.
                            Last edited by Ward; 06-25-2010, 06:16 AM.

Comment

I love satire- I thought it was entertaining. It's funny how satire can make people mad though.

I've been a Steve Taylor fan since I was about 14- he just about got himself kicked out of the Christian music industry over satirical songs...meanwhile anyone who gets it is saying "are you kidding?- he didn't literally mean you should blow up abortion clinics!"

Maybe that's a bad example. Eh. I appreciate the tone mojo stuff though. I have an old radio burial ground out behind my parent's barn.

jamie

Comment

Working...
                              X