No announcement yet.

Mosfet Identification Help Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I didn't mean to cheat you. Those pages that I linked to were not from the company site. The company doesn't share their schematics. Those pages were from a fan site that is maintained independently. Offhand, I don't know who the site's owner is. I found the interview by Googling for the designer's name.

If I took your comments about obsolete discrete semis and mistook them to refer to an obsoleted circuit design, that was my mistake. I agree that modern semiconductors would be a better choice. If its possible to find modern substitutes for both the 6761 and the 8401 that would make the PSU circuit build-able. I guess this thread will stay open until I have the definitive list of replacements for all of the obsoleted parts, or an encapsulated solution to replace them.

WRT hunting and buying an original one -- most of those devices in working order are selling in the area of $1000. Dead ones still command a ridiculously high price, because most buyers aren't aware of the problems in repairing a PSU board that's based on obsolete components that can't be sourced. Both working and non-working units command prices that are too high and there aren't any "deals" out there.

That brings us to the prospect of a DIY build. The audio signal path is a damned simple circuit that just about anyone here should be able to build. In the best case scenario a well built DIY might sound similar to the $1000 used gear. In the worst case scenario a well built DIY will sound like vintage audio from the golden age. Its not that hard to build circuits that are on-par with the 1950s products, so if the recommendation is to buy "golden era" amps, to me that's equivalent to a DIY recommendation. To me, DIY seems like a no-loose proposition. Its a worthwhile as an experiment, anyway.

Thanks for your helpful posts.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

most of those devices in working order are selling in the area of $1000.
      All I can say is OUCH !!!
      No offense taken and wish you good luck with your project.
      Still think that the "mechanical" part will be a PITA, if you want to keep it on the same high level as the electronics proper part.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        Look at the end of this thread: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15120/

I had found the TL783 which takes up to 125v directly
        http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl783.pdf

And Tedmich found several interesting resources. All potentially helpful to you
        Thanks Enzo! It looks like the TL783 circuit would have a lower parts count, and my needs fall right in the range of its specs:

Vi - Vo = 125V
        Io = 15 to 700 mA
        Tj = 0 - 125 C

Best of all: $2.02 shipped from Digikey.
        Last edited by bob p; 06-26-2010, 02:19 AM.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Well, the problem isn't solved yet ... I have been digging but I can't find any suitable integrated solutions for high negative voltage regulation. I've even spoken to Tech Support at TI and they're unable to help.

It looks like I could be headed back toward mosfets/opamps in voltage stabilizer circuits.

can anyone provide specs for the 6761 and the 8401?

Comment

What if you had a 9v battery circuit, and you wanted to add a -9v circuit to it. WOuld you look for a -9v battery?

A negative regulator doesn't need to be made for that job. DO you have a independent transformer winding for your negative supply? If you make a basic supply and regulate it, at the end you wind up with a + and - lead. Usually we ground the - lead and have +V. But if the transformer is not already grounded, you can just as easily ground the + lead and have -V. Still using a positive regulator IC.

As to specs, this is just a power supply voltage regulator, no distortion or freq response to think about. WHat is the raw voltage you are starting with? Your +v knocks 240v down to 180v which would seem like 60v. But when power is first applied, empty caps can seeem like a momentary short, and that is zero volts, so I would want the MOSFET to have at least the 240v rating. SOmeone else may disagree. Looks like your -V starts with the same 240v. And then current. Well, how much current does the circuit need? What is three of four times that much? Pretty much any similar type transistor that meets the minimal specs should work.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X