Need help putting tule on Soldano cab 4x12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help putting tule on Soldano cab 4x12

Wanted to know if I can put new tulex over the tulex that is already on the cab. The tulex is in good condition. Will it effect the sound of the cab? What kind of adhesive should I use? Should I sand down the cab or the tulex?
    Any help or advice would be awesome!
    Thanks

ccruz, there are tons of articles about this.

You can't set the tolex on top of old tolex, you've got to remove the old one and scrape all the previous glue and dirt, maybe even sand the surface.

Use white glue to set the tolex. Then varnish it to seal the tolex. There are articles about this on the WWW. The covering will not likely change the tone at all, or very little to be noticeable.
    Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
      ccruz, there are tons of articles about this.

You can't set the tolex on top of old tolex, you've got to remove the old one and scrape all the previous glue and dirt, maybe even sand the surface.

Use white glue to set the tolex. Then varnish it to seal the tolex. There are articles about this on the WWW. The covering will not likely change the tone at all, or very little to be noticeable.
      Its not really tolex im putting over it, its more like a fake leather material thats white, they its used for photo albums

Comment

Correction: I'm sorry, I wrote this quite late. You don't seal tolex at all, and you don't necessarily use white glue. I had tweed in mind.... The other advice is still valid: you've got to clean it all up before applying any glue, therefore any covering.

Having corrected that, on to your question:

Its not really tolex im putting over it, its more like a fake leather material thats white, they its used for photo albums
        (Tolex is also fake leather...) Check if this material you have is easy to rip using your fingernails. If it is, don't use it - I've made that mistake before.

If it is resistant, the quick way to do it is using contact glue, the kind used in old shoe fixing. It's PITA to work with, you can't get it wrong at all, after contact it's impossible to move and removing bubbles is hard if you let bubbles happen. Very dangerous if you breathe it, toxic and makes you dizzy. If you've never done it, outsource it, leave it to an expert.

You may try white glue, but it's the opposite of contact glue: takes too long to dry and the covering moves around, hard to apply pressure and stretch the surface. Vapor is not toxic and you can breath safely around it. Has varied qualities of glue, some suck, some are good, buy at a woodworking shop not at back to school section.

Good luck!
        Valvulados

Comment

Working...
        X