"Stop board" for cabinet - isolated recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stop board" for cabinet - isolated recording

Attached is a sketch of a quick idea. I'm wondering if there is too little air in front of the speaker to get a good tone. On this Seattle-made Music Lord cab, there is 2 1/2" of space from baffle plane to very front. This might make literal compression. But the basic result is mission accomplished; amp muzzled. Hey, I'm sure someone has tried this!

btw, the sit revamp rocks.
    Attached Files

I would think that you need some way to adjust the microphone unless you plan on using the same amp and speaker all the time. Normally, when mic'ing guitar cabinets you want to adjust the placement of the microphone somewhere between the center of the cone and the edge of the speaker. The farther out you go on the speaker, the more bass response you get. Being able to adjust the angle is also helpful.

I had a Randall Iso cab for a while when I used to practice in a headphone studio. Even with an upgraded speaker, I never liked the sound. It had a gooseneck microphone holder which worked well but the speaker never seemed like it could move the way it was supposed to. There were pretty large ports on the speaker baffle, but I don't think the box had enough volume to let the speaker move enough. With the lid open, it sounded pretty good, but didn't isolate!

Comment

Done, with pics and mp3

Well, I finished it today. It's is rather lightweight being 1/2 plywood and some plexiglass; the mic friction-fits into the center-placed hole. Bunjgies hold it on, plexi-baffle was routed some to allow for the corners.

It is quieter, but yet too loud for "silent" recording. It captures the high end well, which is the sweet spot that real speakers provide. I always like the mic straight on. The amp was a green Class A Rhein that I re-did. The recording was a low volume as it just turned 11m, and thus the playing timid. Take1 has some eq and stereo reverb added in Logic. Fender humbucker in neck, SD in bridge. I dont think my GSP1101 modeller Fendered sounds this good direct/USB. But I think the tube I use to buffer it (pedals were unplugged for mp3 take) needs replacing.

So, there you go!
      Attached Files

Comment

Guitarist, that records pretty clean. I would have thought that it would be very bright mic'ing straight down the middle, but it has a nice balanced tone. That might work well for gigs. You could knock down the stage volume some but still hear the umph of the cabinet.

A few of the local players here use small plexiglass walls in front of thier amps so they can crank them up more.

Comment

Working...
        X