Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found some old 7591A Tubes - Can I put them in an amp to replace 6L6's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a few pairs/quads of NOS 7591a's recently. They were worth way more on Ebay than they were to me to have sitting on the shelf for years waiting to be used...so I offed them. I don't have any amps that use them anymore, so it really didn't bother me to get rid of them. The buyers were thrilled to get them....
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      Supposedly a great tube for guitar amps and OD's fabulous.
      One of the best sounding little amps I ever had used a 7591. It was a Premier Twin-8, and it did indeed have pretty fabulous OD.
      -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

The 7868 was a different bottle and different pinout, but same internals and specs for the most part as a 7591A. My Bogen CHB100 uses four 7868's and it sounds fantastic. Those little bottles are in between a 6L6 and 6V6 for power and have a juicy and touch responsive sound. My favorite power tube. The new EH 7868's are very good btw. No idea on their 7591's first hand, though I've heard they also sound good, though their bottle is too large as compared to a vintage 7591A.

Greg

Comment

Don't forget the 6GM5.....that was yet another version of the same tube only with a 9 pin "miniature" style base...I forget the actual term for it. Novar? Anyway....I run these with adapter sockets (the amp was set up for the 7868) I made up in an old Precision Electronics PA amp I redid for guitar use.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62937081@N00/289586290/
          Last edited by tboy; 06-21-2011, 09:42 PM.
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
            And FWIW, the Gemini II and 22 used the 6L6, while the regular Gemini and Gemini IV used the 7591. Check before throwing the switch....
            I suggest actually checking the tube compliment per amp. I have a Gemini II that uses 7591's.

Comment

Working...
            X