Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender pro 185 repair trouble! Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender pro 185 repair trouble! Please help!

I'm having trouble trying to repair a Fender Pro 185 for a friend. The filter caps had dried up and the 2 resistors R175 & R176 the 2-270 ohm 7watt had been charred. I replaced the caps and put in 2-270ohm 10 watters and the amp sounds terrific but the resistors start smoking after 10 mins with around 90v+ and 90v- on the front legs where there is supposed 50v+ and 50v-. Upon further inspection of the schematic it appears that someone had labeled the PT secondaries and the their terminals on the pc board as 1, 2 & 3 but had the red/white wire which the schematic indicates as cp11 at cp12. Thinking this may have been my problem with too much voltage on the front end of R175 & R176 I put the red/white wire back where the schematic indicated at cp11 and right away the mains fuse and thermistor blew. I replaced them and now when I fire up the amp there is a super loud hum and the thermistor is heating up so fast its sure to blow a fuse again. When I check the secondary voltages I get 48vac(white) 17 vac(red/white) 14.5vac(white) Could it be that the red/white wire was wrong from the factory? It appears I have shorted out something when I switched the wires. That's what I get for trusting my eyes just following the schematic without checking secondary voltages first. Help! Any suggestions? Thanks.
Working...
X