Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue Power Transformer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue Power Transformer?

I am getting conflicting information on the transformers that are being used to manufacture the 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue (everything from dimensions to country of origin). The power transformer in my DRRI carries the Schumacher EIA code (although, Schumacher could be sourcing it from China). Are the dimensions of the DRRI power transformer different than those of the original (the B+ is lower on the DRRI than the original)? I would pull the chassis and measure everything with a micrometer, but one of my hands is currently out of commission.
    Last edited by Tonestack; 07-02-2010, 06:47 PM.

WHy do you need this? Are you needing to replace the one in there now? Or are you wanting to build a clone of it yourself? Something else?

When Fender makes a re-issue of an amp, they are making an new version of the old circuit, now laid out on circuit boards instead of on eyelets, but the last thing on their minds would be whether the transformer has the same dimensions or not. So if they are of the same dimensions it would just be coincidence. In all our service literature and documetation, phsical dimensions fo the transformers are not included. After all, if we need to replace one, we just order the factory part, and it fits.

B+ is 445VDC on the reissue, I have no idea what it was on the original.

The reissue PT is part number 0075165000. I have no idea who made them, but it is also possible Fender used more than one supplier during the production run.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      WHy do you need this? Are you needing to replace the one in there now? Or are you wanting to build a clone of it yourself? Something else?
      Yes, I am going to replace the power and output transformers in the amp with the beefier versions that David Allen sells. I want to experiment with 6L6s and EL34s without overstressing the power transformer.

When Fender makes a re-issue of an amp, they are making an new version of the old circuit, now laid out on circuit boards instead of on eyelets, but the last thing on their minds would be whether the transformer has the same dimensions or not. So if they are of the same dimensions it would just be coincidence. In all our service literature and documetation, phsical dimensions fo the transformers are not included. After all, if we need to replace one, we just order the factory part, and it fits.
      Concur!

B+ is 445VDC on the reissue, I have no idea what it was on the original.

The reissue PT is part number 0075165000. I have no idea who made them, but it is also possible Fender used more than one supplier during the production run.
      Is that an unloaded reading? The B+ on my Deluxe Reverb Reissue (DRRI) is 400VDC with the power tubes biased at 24ma each. Here are the numbers that are printed on the transformer.

B-041316 (Fender transformer number)
      93032267_441 (part number or manufacturer spec number?)
      EIA606MS0848 SB4 (Schmacher, 48th week of 2008)

Anyway, I was able to get rough power transformer dimension information without pulling the chassis. The DRRI power transformer is definitely larger than the vintage Deluxe power transformer. The rough dimensions are basically the same as those of the AB763 Vibrolux power transformer (Fender 022723 and 125P26A). I wonder if Fender is using the same power transformer on the DRRI and the Custom Vibrolux?

Comment

+445VDC is what it says on the schematic. Unless otherwise specified, that would be with all tubes installed and biased to spec.

HOWEVER, and with my humble apology, I don;t know what file I opened then, but looking again today I do indeed find the 41316 transformer, and the B+ is spec'd as +396VDC.

Sorry, I just figured out I had opened the '65 Princeton Reverb reissue instead of the '65 Deluxe Reverb reissue. My mouse grabbed the next file down the menu.

Mounting dimensions don't tell us what is inside the transformer. Fender's source may be using the same E and I iron, but one transformer can be stacked a lot higher than another and still have the same footprint. Likewise on the windings within. Same outside dimensions don't tell us the windings are the same. If they have teh same part number they will be the same, if they have different paqrt nunbers, then they will be different in some way.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The dimensions are the same as the older BF Vibrolux Reverb/Tremolux transformers. I've put a DRRI PT in a SF Viibrolux Reverb. The Hammond 290cx replacement PT should also fit the DRRI. The Fender RI Vibroverb/CVR transformer doesn't have the 5V rectiifier winding so the part numbers will be different but Fender may have sourced the DRRI version based on the older Brownface Vibroverb RI(same chasis?).

Comment

Working...
          X