Looking for an Oddball Dual Gang Vol Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an Oddball Dual Gang Vol Pot

I'm trying to find a very high quality volume pot to repair a vintage piece of stereo gear:

20k, Audio taper, dual element, 6mm shaft.

The original is a PCB mount pot, but I can work around that as long as the replacement isn't too big.

Quality is the most important criterion, as this pot needs to go into the volume position on a HiFi preamp. The original part was an Alps 20kaX2. Unfortunately, Alps doesn't make pots with 6mm shafts any more, and I can't fin the NOS part.

Has anybody got a good lead?
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

I'm looking for a top quality part, not a chinese counterfeit. Just for reference:

Real NOS Alps 20kax2:

Chinese Fake:

"Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

This is where paper catalogs shine. Get out the Mouser, Allied, Digikey, and whoever else's phonebook you have, and start leafing through the pots page by page. You will see what they HAVE rather than see what results from search parameters you think up.

You are looking at dual section pots, but don't dismiss single wafer pots with dual resistance elements - the 5 and 6 leg pots we see here and there. Mouser sells these for example:
      http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/pdb18.pdf

Is the pot a gain control in the feedback loop of op amps, or is it a plain old vanilla voltage divider volume control? In the latter case, you might find some other value that will work fine but be easier to find. 50k or something.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X