Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg Reverberocket R-12-R-B Tremolo Trouble

I acquired this 60's R12RB from a neighbor. The price was exactly right. $0
    The pots were very dirty and I cleaned them up. Still has all original tubes, caps etc...
    It no longer has the original two prong power cord as I switched that out right away.
    I am pretty sure its the caps on the trem circuit as it tries to "catch" and then nothing.
    What I mean is you can kind of hear something about to happen and then...no, not so much.
    I measured the plate voltage on the #1 - 6SL7 on pin 5 at 332Volts and then when I hit the switch the voltage drops to 194V and creeps up to 205V. (Oh BTW, messing with either pot involved doesn't change the results noticeably.) The "creep" seems like a cap to me.

OK, so here are the questions:
    1. Am I on the right track?
    2. Any suggestions as to narrowing down what cap?
    3. Where can I get caps for this thing???

Some Pic's:
    The Face:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	R12RB-Face.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	862690
    The Label showing tube configuration and model

Name:	R12RB-Label.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	862689
    And at last the circuitry:

Name:	R12RB-Circuit.jpg
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	862688
    (This image looks weird because I tried this "stitch" thing with my camera and it didn't work to well. but the board look OK.)

Hoping an amp master can give some guidance.
    Thanks!

Humm, OK, Being an Amp master is really not necessary...

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller??

Seriously, The echo on this thing works great... Just the tremolo...
    Caps?

Comment

Welcome.

Working from memory only here, the trem circuit components are all on the left end of the terminal board (in your photo). The first one that I usually test/replace is the blue electrolytic cathode bypass cap (maybe the 7th item from the left). The next would be the three red oscillator caps at the left end of the board. Sometimes there are off value resisitors in there as well, but the caps are the usual suspects.

Comment

Thanks Bill.
        Those were what I was looking at but I wasn't sure if on the right track.

Comment

make sure the tube is a 6sl7 not a 6sn7. the 6sn7 doesnt have enough gain to work in the trem circuit.

Comment

I have a 1960 Rocket that has 6V6 finals, but looks pretty much the same. I got the amp free also but it isn't nearly as clean a yours. Mine looks like it survived WWIII. My trem didn't work either. I shotgunned all of the caps related to the trem circuit and it worked. Get a schematic.

Comment

Thanks for the info jbrew and olddawg...
              I verified the tubes first, N's and L's and made sure they all were at least glowing.
              What happened to the day when the local drugstore had tube testing machines! Then I could verify those as well.
              In any case I think the shotgun trem caps is probably the best idea.

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Working...
              X