Tascam us-144 and Macintosh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tascam us-144 and Macintosh

I'm hoping you folks might be able to help with this.

I recently convinced my wife that we should replace our old computer and that the new one should be an iMac (I'm a Mac, she's a PC - a mixed marriage). We did, and everything was great and then I hit a minor glitch.

On the old PC I was using a Tascam us-144 audio interface and the Cubase LE that came with it to record (piano, acoustic, electric guitar, cornet - mostly to record the children for grandma and grandad to hear). I like using it because of the 2 xlr mic inputs.

TASCAM

Knowing that apples come with garage band I thought it would be easy to hook the us-144 up and record into garageband, but this is not proving to be the case.

The mac seems to recognize the us-144 device, and I can garageband appears to recognize it as a potential source. It lets me select it as an input source for a track. However, I can't seem to get any sound and it won't record. It also has a tendency to crash (shock) the mac and I have to re-start.

I did think to get the firmware updater and the mac drivers here, but they are not seeming to help:

TASCAM

I know the us-144 works fine on the PC and with the headphones in the unit's jack I can hear the mics and the guitar, so my feeling is that there is something I am missing in the software (I am not very familiar with garageband), or else maybe the us-144 is too old and the mac is too new to be compatible?

I did a search here, but didn't see discussion of a similar problem.

Originally posted by JHow View Post
    I know the us-144 works fine on the PC and with the headphones in the unit's jack I can hear the mice and the guitar...
    If you can hear mice in your headphones you probably ought to call an exterminator. Sorry- when I reading your post I thought it said mice. My bad!

Do you have Apple Care? I have heard that they are very helpful but I guess you do have to pay for that service.

Good luck!

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Oops. Yes, the mice squeaking is annoying.

Comment

have you checked the sound system preference to see if the 144 is set as the input and output device?

Comment

Working...
        X