Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A bit of history: who is the "San Lee Guy" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gents
    Although I never met Sam Li he was a known name when I was involved in retail/repair in a London shop in the late 60s to early 70s. My guitar go to guy now (Knight Guitars) knew Sam in the 60s. Sam had a small shop in Soho and also worked as a setup guy at Selmers. Gordon is now 70 and says that Sam was at least 10-15 years older than him. So if he is still around he is very venerable to say the least.
    MacLoud

Comment

Hi MacLoud

I used to have a workshop in the old Rose Morris shop in Shaftesbury Ave late 70´s early 80´s Dick Knight was still making those nice birds eye maple top teles. I thought that Sam Lee had died then, so lord knows who the current Sam Lee is.

Cheers
      Andrew
      Originally posted by MacLoud View Post
      Hi Gents
      Although I never met Sam Li he was a known name when I was involved in retail/repair in a London shop in the late 60s to early 70s. My guitar go to guy now (Knight Guitars) knew Sam in the 60s. Sam had a small shop in Soho and also worked as a setup guy at Selmers. Gordon is now 70 and says that Sam was at least 10-15 years older than him. So if he is still around he is very venerable to say the least.
      MacLoud

Comment

Hi Andrew
        Gordon is Dick Knight's son in law and took on the business when Dick retired, (he died in 96). I had seen this thread and thought to ask him as guitar repair UK is a small world. Yes he knew Sam but has had no news of him for many years. Let us see if the other members of this forum have a more definitive answer.
        rgds
        MacLoud

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
          I thought that Sam Lee had died then, so lord knows who the current Sam Lee is.
          If you remember back when there was a thread on Peter Green's pickups, that's when Sam Lee (Li) was brought up, and then Sam Lee Guy showed up.

Possum knows who SLG is...

He said in this post:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t18894-5/#post170868 #124

Oh forgot, I don't mention my mentor's name because he likes his privacy, and he's not really a pickup maker by profession, but has a long history in the music world and has alot of examples of different vintage pickups etc. Very nice man. I think he likes me because I'm weird....
          and then

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t18894-5/#post170868 #144

He posts here as Sam Lee Guy
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hi MacLoud

Thanks for the note, nice cat by the way reminds me of my lump sitting in the kitchen watching the rain pour down outside.

Cheers

Andrew
            Hi Andrew
            Gordon is Dick Knight's son in law and took on the business when Dick retired, (he died in 96). I had seen this thread and thought to ask him as guitar repair UK is a small world. Yes he knew Sam but has had no news of him for many years. Let us see if the other members of this forum have a more definitive answer.
            rgds
            MacLoud

Comment

Hi Andrew
              rgds
              MacLoud
              I managed Top Gear in Denmark st early 70's which really was guitar central in those days in the west end & the source of a lot of legendary gear during that " golden age". I am back in touch with Ron Roka who had a repair shop out back.( Ron was a brilliant & in demand electronics guy, who also later employed Seymour Duncan.) There was no" luthier " at Top Gear, any serious wood work went to Dick Knight in the early days and later to Roger Giffin.

Now on to Sam Li. Sam was one of the few repairers in the West End, he had a workshop in in Gerrard St . This was of course some time before the arrival of Roger Giffin, Seymour Duncan etc., and it wasn’t always practical to run down to Surrey to see Dick Knight . (Dick incidentally had nothing kind to say about Sam's work) Sam Li was his real name and he was of Chinese descent, I mention this only because I came across a post on this forum claiming otherwise. He died fairly recently, only about 3 or 4 years ago, out surviving Dick, Tony Zemaitis and all. .

Gary Moore did actually bring that guitar in to "show off " the day after he picked it up from PG , who would believe a statement like that these days? Peter wandered in occasionally but was in very bad physical & mental shape by then so I can't throw any conclusive light on the pick up myth beyond the fact that Sam definitely worked on the guitar
              Last edited by bramley; 08-14-2010, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bramley View Post
                Now on to Sam Li. Sam was one of the few repairers in the West End, he had a workshop in in Gerrard St . This was of course some time before the arrival of Roger Giffin, Seymour Duncan etc., and it wasn’t always practical to run down to Surrey to see Dick Knight . (Dick incidentally had nothing kind to say about Sam's work) Sam Li was his real name and he was of Chinese descent, I mention this only because I came across a post on this forum claiming otherwise. He died fairly recently, only about 3 or 4 years ago, out surviving Dick, Tony Zemaitis and all.
                Thank you very much for your insight, Bramley. It was very informative indeed.

Yours truly,
                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                Milano, Italy

Comment

You are welcome.

I might add that many of the old timers I'm back in touch with have made the remark that although a good repairman & refinisher Sam's strong point wasn't wiring & guitar electronics.
                  Last edited by bramley; 08-24-2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I'd like to point out that the original question was about "Sam Lee Guy", and not Sam Li (Lee). Sam Lee Guy is a totally different person and is a member of this forum.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Opinions about the original Sam Li differed, his fret work was said to be okay, personally I saw wiring jobs done by him and thought a knife and fork may have been used without intervention of a soldering iron....... however that is the past.......... now onto the subject du jour, "Sam Lee Guy" and who he may be.
                      Sam Lee Guy has demonstrated great knowledge of Violins, history, construction and repair on other threads in other forums.
                      Could he be a well known violin maker who also has great knowledge of replicas of certain LP type guitars and PAFs, who is hors de combat at the moment? or is that just a coincidence?
                      MacLoud

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        I'd like to point out that the original question was about "Sam Lee Guy", and not Sam Li (Lee). Sam Lee Guy is a totally different person and is a member of this forum.
                        Thanks David. I was actually prompted to post this info following a recent PM from Sam Lee Guy.

Comment

Thanks David. I was actually prompted to post this info following a recent PM from Sam Lee Guy.
                          Well it was hearing about the real Sam also.

Comment

I'm guessing this is Sid

I managed Top Gear in Denmark st early 70's which really was guitar central in those days in the west end & the source of a lot of legendary gear during that " golden age". I am back in touch with Ron Roka who had a repair shop out back.( Ron was a brilliant & in demand electronics guy, who also later employed Seymour Duncan.) There was no" luthier " at Top Gear, any serious wood work went to Dick Knight in the early days and later to Roger Giffin.

Now on to Sam Li. Sam was one of the few repairers in the West End, he had a workshop in in Gerrard St . This was of course some time before the arrival of Roger Giffin, Seymour Duncan etc., and it wasn’t always practical to run down to Surrey to see Dick Knight . (Dick incidentally had nothing kind to say about Sam's work) Sam Li was his real name and he was of Chinese descent, I mention this only because I came across a post on this forum claiming otherwise. He died fairly recently, only about 3 or 4 years ago, out surviving Dick, Tony Zemaitis and all. .

Gary Moore did actually bring that guitar in to "show off " the day after he picked it up from PG , who would believe a statement like that these days? Peter wandered in occasionally but was in very bad physical & mental shape by then so I can't throw any conclusive light on the pick up myth beyond the fact that Sam definitely worked on the guitar

I also worked at Top Gear from 1976, but first met Sam back in 1974 when I was working at Music City on Shaftesbury Avenue. Sam and I were good buddies back then, we had some good drinking times together around Soho and at his home. As is the way, one can easily lose track of olds friends.

Although one is aware that an old friend has likely passed away, Sam was about 25 years my senior, it still nonetheless sad to have it confirmed. Bless you Sam.

Sam did some work on an old Precision bass of mine (which is of little to no significance) but he was also responsible for repairs and maintenance of Steve Howe's (Yes) guitar collection.

Comment

Jude -- I'd love to talk to you about Sam.I'll explain why...Could you email me at .....?
                              Last edited by nosaj; 03-21-2024, 10:09 PM. Reason: no longer wants email public

Comment

Hi Jude

Do you know what became of Colin Pincott and Kieth White AKA The Stoat who worked at music city about that time. Both were really good guitarists and nice blokes with a wicked sense of humour.
                                Cheers
                                Andrew

Comment

Working...
                                X