Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Coil: Reads 4k on the dot... but no continuity??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Coil: Reads 4k on the dot... but no continuity??

I am really confused here. is it trash?

I have tried the search function on this, but cant seem to find any info.

I am winding up some humbuckers and cant get any continuity. I just started winding the second coil and the same thing is happening 1500 turns in. I check for continuity and there is none... am I doing something wrong here??

Comment

now on the 3rd coil, 1700 turns in and NO CONTINUITY. I am starting to freak out a little bit here. all these views and no one wants to chime in?

Comment

Originally posted by analog View Post
        First Coil: Reads 4k on the dot... but no continuity??
        I am really confused here. is it trash?
        How did you read 4K without continuity? just the fact you can get an Ohm reading is proof of continuity.
        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

I am using the continuity test on my DMM and it says the circuit is open.

Comment

Because continuity means a resistance lower .5 Ohms (maybe another low value)

Hermann

Comment

Originally posted by analog View Post
              I am using the continuity test on my DMM and it says the circuit is open.
              You can't use that, most DMM's measure "continuity" up to about 200 Ohms or so and then tell you there's no continuity at any resistance above that.

Set your DMM to the scale that's appropriate to the coil resistance and use it that way.
              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Bad solder joint, or not removing enough insulation to get a read?

Comment

if your using poly wire just reheat your solder joint
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

ok, got it!!! thanks guys

Comment

As others have said you can't use the continuity part of the VOM. That's for like under one ohm.

If you got a resistance reading, then your coil is good.

Zhangliqun and copperheadroads, he got a reading in DC resistance mode, but was trying to check the continuity, which wont work because of the resistance.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                      X