Solder vs Solderless 1/4" Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solder vs Solderless 1/4" Plugs

Just curious what the pros & cons are on these two types of 'connections'.

I have to replace some patch cable & while I've always opted for soldered-in Switchcraft or Neutriks, the George L and/or Planet Waves solderless plugs might save some assembly time.

Do solderless connections hold up over the long haul? I've found that even soldered-in connections can fail from time to time as the solder gets brittle or from pulling on the cord/sleeve, usually after 3-4 years or so.

I won't use solderless connectors of any type. I've seen too many go bad, intermittent, etc. Stick to solder-type. 3-4yrs. out of a cable with no issues is an excellent return on your investment.
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

might save some assembly time.
      And add a few fun hours, chasing intermittents
      I simply do not trust unsoldered connections, and if possible solder even crimped pins.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I agree that the solder connections are FAR, FAR better. However, with that said, I have a few cables with both the Planet Waves & GeorgeL's connectors that I have been using for 4-5 years with NO PROBLEMS. The choice is up to you.

Comment

It is sorta like driving home from the bar drunk. It is not a good idea, but people do it and get away with it every day. Iffy connectors are not about the ones that work, they are about the ones that don't, or worse yet, the intermittant ones. And intermittants are exactly the sort of problems you will have when a solderless connection goes bad.

You might save a few minutes, but as my shop teacher used to tell us, "It seems we never have time to do it right, but we always have time to do it twice."
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Solderless

As a user of 1/4" chords the solderless have been just fine for the last 6 years. Not a one of 4 I use have had a problem. Can't say the same for the soldered chords, but your mileage may vary. BTW I use these chords everyday.

Comment

I have 2 cords labeled 'Bill Lawrence' from the place I worked at years ago. Brass solderless connections with thin (Belden?) cable. They work just OK. I use these at home for practice, but wouldnt want to depend on them at a gig.
              "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
              - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
              X