problems with 10-32 allen set screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with 10-32 allen set screws

i just got some 10-32 set screws from a source on ebay for some pickups & the diameter is just too small you can push them thru a slug side bobbin. they measured .182" in diameter .i do have some similar screws i took a look from a pickup here and they are .191" I'm just wondering if 10-32 is the right size fit a slug bobbin ?. i was considering going with m5 x 16 mm it might fit better
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

I usually compare the drill size needed for a screw to get a size assist. Last I checked, the 10-24 size is slightly bigger. I have used that size and they are just right in the bobbins I have. Got them at my friendly local fastener shop.
    Shannon Hooge
    NorthStar Guitar
    northstarguitar.com

Comment

Both 10-32 and 10-24 have a nominal OD of 0.190", however samples of (good quality) socket head cap screws of both sizes that I measured were right around 0.185". So, the ones you bought are slightly undersized, but buying better ones or switching to 10-24 isn't going to gain you much. The M5 will be around 0.192", so that's probably what those screws you took out are.

If you want to use the 10-32's you have, put a drop of thick gel superglue on them. It'll bond better to the bobbin than to the steel, forming some threads. After the glue fully hardens, you can break the screw loose.

Comment

thanks guys thats just what i needed to know
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Working...
        X