Question about line out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about line out...

Should I use a shielded or unshielded cable for a line out from an amp to a PA (or other amp)?

It's a signal source so use shielded.

Comment

Do you mean what sort of cable to run from an amp's line out to the PA or other amp (in which case just use a shielded mic cable), or are you asking what sort of wire or cable you should use for adding a line out jack? If it's the latter, the best way is with no cable at all. If there's room in the chassis, add a line out jack next to the speaker jack; connect the 2 tips (hot) with a 33k resistor; connect the tip of the line out jack to the sleeve (ground) of the speaker jack with a 5k (anything from 3.3k to 5k is good) resistor; and connect the sleeves of the two jacks with a short wire. You've just created a voltage divider which knocks the speaker level voltage back to something a PA or amp input can handle. The specific resistor values don't matter that much, you just want a ratio of 10:1 or so. Some like to use lower values, ie 2.2K and 270ohm, as too high a value for the dropping resistor can attenuate high frequencies--but since my amps are built for harp, that's not a bad thing for me, and 33k/5k seems to work well. BTW, if you're running more than 20' from your line out to the PA, you'll need to go into a DI box and then use a balanced (XLR) cable to the PA's mic input for best results.

Comment

Working...
      X