Best driver for princton tweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best driver for princton tweed

Finished a princton tweed last week and have been using it happily since.Yesterday I plugged it into a marhall 4 x 8" box,I was blown away at how much louder it was.The two 8" Heppner I was using just don't cut it any more.
    Whats the best driver for this type of amp,in your opinion.

Thanks Brian

doesn't anyone have any opinions out there.
    I been looking at Eminence and celestion mainly.The greenback has been recomended more than once,but I'd like some non salesman motivated opinions.I'm looking for that bluesy sound with some breakup at higher volumes,but still would like somewhat of a rock sound.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by brian newman View Post
      doesn't anyone have any opinions out there.
      I been looking at Eminence and celestion mainly.The greenback has been recomended more than once,but I'd like some non salesman motivated opinions.I'm looking for that bluesy sound with some breakup at higher volumes,but still would like somewhat of a rock sound.

Brian
      I use one ported 1x12" cab loaded with a Celestion G12M-70 "Modern Lead" speaker. I have another identical cab loaded with a Carvin 12" 70-watt speaker I got cheap last year. The Carvin is a knockoff of the Celestion G12T-75 speaker and is made by Eminence I believe. I use both with my highly modified tweed Princeton clones.

I don't have much experience with 8" speakers, but most of the amps I've heard with them don't sound very good to me. A 12" speaker sounds very good with a Princeton circuit, though. In fact any combination works well: 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10. Even a 1x15 cab sounds good. 1x10 may or may not work for you, but I find 1x10 cabs a bit weak in the bass.

Since you're looking for bluesy breakup, you might want to look at some low wattage-rated alnico magnet speakers. Alnico speakers sound warmer to me than ceramic. With a low wattage speaker you can push it harder with the amp. A 1x15' 15-25w alnico speaker would sound killer with the Princeton, IMHO.

The Greenback might be a good choice for you, it is rated at 25w, IIRC but has a ceramic magnet.

HTH,

steve

Comment

Ted Weber makes some great speakers,http://www.tedweber.com/ if you contact him and tell him what you have and what you are looking for tonewise,he will point you in the right direction.I have used his 10",12" & 15" speakers in 3 builds I did and each time the speaker he recomended nailed what I was looking for.Hes a great guy to deal with.A 10" speaker would be the smallest I would use,like Steve says I havent heard an 8" speaker I liked either.

Comment

Working...
        X