Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please

I am new around here although I have been lurking for awhile just trying to learn from everyone. My name is Zach and it is nice to meet you all in advanced

Anyways, I am building my first winder, I was going to go mechanical counter route (for the shear fact that it is simple) but I decided slotted optic switch with counter. I want to do this because my interest in electronics just generally has been growing and I would like to accomplish something like this. My question is, in your opinions, did I get decent parts or should I order something else? I am mostly worried about the counter I purchased, but it was so cheap I couldn't pass it up.

Optic Switch

Counter

Can electronic counters have issues with counts per minute like mechanical? Please excuse my ignorance, I am very new to all of this.

Hi Zach,

Welcome.

I think you'll find the counter is a) noisy and b) probably maxes out at a few hundred counts per minute...

You can't drive it easily from your sensor either.

An electronic counter might have a maximum count speed of 10,000 per second or more.

HTH

Comment

First off, thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

Ya it arrived in the mail and was NOTHING like it looked like, but I am not very upset as it was $3. And that included shipping.
      I went ahead with a Red Lion CUB 4 brand NEW for $20!! From the research I have done that seemed to be a great deal to me so I nabbed it. What are your thoughts on it? And actually the model number is specifically CUB4CL10 but I could not find it on Red Lion website so I am hoping it is the CUB 4 I am thinking it is.

Comment

Bad news Zach, I'm afraid.

The CL stands for "current loop" and the device is not a counter

Current loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The datasheet is here:

http://www.redlion.net/products/grou...docs/04008.pdf

If it's any consolation, you did get it for a good price..

Cheers,

Rob.

Comment

This might interest you:

OMRON H7CX-A COUNTER UNIT - eBay (item 390221102754 end time Jul-26-10 17:35:38 PDT)

Datasheet:

http://www.ia.omron.com/data_pdf/dat..._ds_csm118.pdf

Comment

GAHHH!!!
            Darnit.... that is DEFINITELY not what I needed. I am going to convince that guy to let me return it cause I still haven't left any feedback.... well hopefully he will let me cause what a WASTE. I have a schematic for an optek sensor to a CUB 4 or 5 counter which is why I was looking for that one specifically, but I'm sure I will be able to figure it out with a different one. Although I am not electronics savvy, yet, my father is an electronics major so I am sure he will be able to help me out. Thanks for everything man, you have been awesome!

Actually I just viewed the ebay listing again. Here is a link to it. Why does it say minature counter??? That is DEFINITELY false advertising isn't it? Or is it saying it comes with both the cub 4 and the cl? Oh man I am confused and the seller is not responding to me....

Comment

Hi,

I see the seller offers a 30 day returns policy, seller pays the postage - so you shouldn't have a problem there though still out of pocket. I'd give him more time to respond though, being the weekend.

It's more than likely he didn't know it wasn't a counter, it looks like one.

Third time lucky

Comment

haha ya i sure do hope so!

I see he has a CUB10000, would that work for what I need? I am thinking I could save myself some hassle and have him just mail that one out instead.

Comment

Yes, that would be fine.

http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Pro...s/317-0026.pdf

Comment

Thanks so much man. I'll stop bothering you now haha
                    For real though, how do you find those pdfs so freaking fast!!!! I barely had time to make a sandwich and come back to the computer and you had already found it and replied! :-P
                    I am pretty stoked though cause all I needed was the counter and some ball bearings. I am going to pick up the bearings today so as soon as I get my winder up and running, I'll post a video, or just some pics.

Comment

Finding the pdf files? That's just a sign that I spend far too much time on the computer instead of actually doing something...

I found this on ebay, seems to have slipped under the radar:

RED LION APLT0600 TOTALIZING COUNTER, APLT - eBay (item 110564675022 end time Aug-01-10 07:11:26 PDT)

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Puppet View Post
                        That's just a sign that I spend far too much time on the computer instead of actually doing something...
                        Like making a sandwich...

Searching for stuff is an art form though.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

You know the whole situation turned out in my favor greatly. The guy ended up sending me the wrong item so he refunded me my money and sent me the CUB10000 for FREE. Wow did I ever luck out! So now I am happily finishing up the winder and have many friends and friends of friends who want to buy pickups from me, funny thing is I haven't even made one yet.... oh well cant argue with getting business haha.

Now I just need to not suck....

Comment

Originally posted by SainT View Post
                            LMAO! i find myself in this same boat. sink or swim i guess.. can only learn from mistakes, grow wiser and get better.
                            -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by SainT View Post
                              You may suck in the beginning, but you will learn not too suck.

Be prepared to break a lot of wire for a day or two.
                              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                              X