Humbucker Sized P-90 Parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker Sized P-90 Parts?

Been getting more and more requests for these lately...does anybody sell them?

I get my bobbins from Korea and Phatcat style metal covers from the recently discussed Axes'r'us in UK. I then re-drill a standard HB baseplate.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
      I get my bobbins from Korea and Phatcat style metal covers from the recently discussed Axes'r'us in UK. I then re-drill a standard HB baseplate.
      Not to steal anyones trade secrets on these, but could you elaborate more on the bobbin of these fat cat type single coil pickups.
      You mentioned the cover and redrilling a standard HB. Do you use a standand HB coil and mount it in the middle and do you 2 regular A5 magnets like a standard P-90 does.
      Looks like a taller bobbing would be in order to get enough wire on it. I guess if you use a standard HB bobbin you would have to go to 43 ga. wire to up the DCR and Inductance?
      Pictures would be nice too, a Speacial Thanks to everyone for sharing?
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

big_teee
        i have not build any of these, i might be way off .but. i have not seen anything phatcat bobbins anywhere around here for sale , but you need a bobbin like a p-90 bobbin only a little shorter ,a humbucker bobbin is way too small they use a humbucker cover ,one with no holes & drill out holes in the center
        STEWMAC.COM : Pictures of P-90 Pickup Kits
        i am planning on making a couple as an experiment i was thinking about using some lexan for the top & bottom bobbin and maybe wood for the middle but i have not give it that much thought i was also considering trimming a P-90 bobbin to fit the humbucker size ....any one feel free to set me straight
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          big_teee
          i have not build any of these, i might be way off .but. i have not seen anything phatcat bobbins anywhere around here for sale , but you need a bobbin like a p-90 bobbin only a little shorter ,a humbucker bobbin is way too small they use a humbucker cover ,one with no holes & drill out holes in the center
          STEWMAC.COM : Pictures of P-90 Pickup Kits
          i am planning on making a couple as an experiment i was thinking about using some lexan for the top & bottom bobbin and maybe wood for the middle but i have not give it that much thought i was also considering trimming a P-90 bobbin to fit the humbucker size ....any one feel free to set me straight
          Yes I realize the problem with the bobbin dilema, that's why I asked the question.
          What everyone is doing on these.
          If your make a special bobbin longer than the HB bobbin, then it won't fit in the HB cover.
          That's what makes the P-90 bobbin so long.
          If you shorten a P-90 bobbin, I still don't think you can get enough wire on it.
          Maybe someone that makes these can clarify all this.
          Like I said earlier some pictures would be nice.
          Thanks for all the help and input!
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I haven't tried, but I'm sure you can get the bobbins here:

http://www.gnbpickup.com/product/pro...0A&no=21&sel=1

That wont help if you just want to make a few though, but they do sell parts.

The bobbins should be easy enough to make with fiberboard, like the new Stew-Mac P-90 bobbins, or even getting some P-90 bobbins and cutting them to fit into an open top humbucker cover (or closed top if you want to drill the holes.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

HB sized P90 parts

I´m getting back making as much pats as possible by myself. Buying a CNC-mill 3 years ago has been the best investment I´ve ever made. I make my P90 and HB-sized P90 bobbins out of vulcanized fiber with a fiber core. For the HB-sized bobbins I make a core of 7,5mm height. With 49,2mm polespacing thats enough to put on up to 10000 turns of AWG42 wire on the bobbin. I also make the baseplates myself.Click image for larger version

Name:	HBPParts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	818815
              www.t-rod-guitars.de

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Do you use a standand HB coil and mount it in the middle and do you 2 regular A5 magnets like a standard P-90 does.
                Yes, I buy a special bobbin that fit into a HB cover. I can then use a standard keeper bar and two standard A5 (or A6, A8, C8) magnets, just like a “real” P90
                Looks like a taller bobbing would be in order to get enough wire on it. I guess if you use a standard HB bobbin you would have to go to 43 ga. wire to up the DCR and Inductance?Terry
                I used AWG43 to be able to put the appropriate 10000 turns on that bobbin. With AWG42 I can only get around 8500 turns on it. The bobbin is by the way more or less vintage correct in regards of height.

Pictures would be nice too, a Speacial Thanks to everyone for sharing?
                Terry
                It’s the PB037 from Paxphil:
                BOBBINGS P275
                Be prepared to buy in bulk. Well not really. They Minimum order is 100 pieces but they accept mixed orders. Or at least they accepted that last time I ordered, but I order a total of around 1000 bobbins.. But the shipping from Korea will cost you…

Comment

You just have to cut the ends off a standard P90 bobbin.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                    How do you like the covers? Nickel silver? Brass? I emailed them but have not received a response.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
                      How do you like the covers? Nickel silver? Brass? I emailed them but have not received a response.
                      They look, OK, but of cause nickle Sliver would be better than brass. They are quite thin thou so they make the end result sound pretty much like a dog ear P90 with metal cover.

Comment

I just take an existing P90 bobbin and cut the ends.

Comment

a couple of weekends ago i decided to build one of these humbucker sized p-90's & i just took a plastic p-90 bobbin & used a plastic humbucker cover & drilled the holes for the pole screws after i sized the bobbin to fit the humbucker cover . i realized . man its a pretty small bobbin now !!!

for any output you need 43 gauge wire just like peter said but..... me & some of my buddies like the sound "p-90 light" i wound it to around 10k.......... pictures are not the best ..sorry
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have something relevant to share that confuses me.

It seems to be the general consensus that you can't fit enough 42AWG wire onto a P-90 bobbin to make a P-90 with the normal turn count of about 10,000 turns that fits in a humbucker route/cover. Last night I wound one up at about 9,700 turns (I could have gone higher) using MWS 42AWG PE and indeed it will definitely fit in a humbucker cover with room to spare if I trim the flanges of the bobbin. I didn't use so much tension that I would have stretched the wire that thin. I got a DCR reading of 8.45k Ohms, but that's almost worthless information as I had JUST wound the coil and I'm not sure what the room temperature was at the time. 68 degrees F, maybe? I can take another reading tonight.

Here ya go...

So what am I missing? Why use taller bobbins or 43AWG wire to make bucker-sized P-90s? Is it just to get much higher turn counts than Gib did in Kalamazoo and make a modern hotter version? Seems like the standard 10k turns will fit. I had been using the Mojo "flatware + phenolic standoffs" bobbins for my bucker-sized P-90s but wasn't getting quite the P-90 sound I hoped for, regardless of TPL, tension, or magnets. - Though it was a VERY cool and slightly brighter/cleaner sound!! - I know my keepers and screws are suitable from my PAF building work. So it was either the coil or the baseplate. The closest I came with those Mojo bobbins was actually by hand winding one that came out a little darker and more proper sounding, strangely enough. Not much I can do about the baseplate if I want to put it in a humbucker route so I started to hope/suspect it was the coil shape that was leaving me desiring that "something else" in the feel/sound. I tried using a P-90 bobbin and was surprised to see it will fit, after all I've read. That's where I am now.

Well, sorry for the rambling, but this is a bump-worthy thread anyway. P-90s sound amazing!
                            Last edited by ReWind; 10-17-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Is that bobbin the same height as a P-90? It looks taller to me. If you look at the 70's clear bobbin P-90s, the wire fills up the bobbin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3375757855_8e3458b2c3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	827159

All that matters is if you like the way it sounds.
                              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                              X