No announcement yet.

Humbucker Sized P-90 Parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the Elektrisola 42 wire is getting pretty small these days.
    I have a new roll of the 42 SPN in red that is barely over .0025".
    Don't know about their PE.
    I have another roll of 42SPN that is over .0027".
    You can sure get more of that .0025 on a bobbin.
    Real handy for certain Apps.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
      Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have something relevant to share that confuses me.

It seems to be the general consensus that you can't fit enough 42AWG wire onto a P-90 bobbin to make a P-90 with the normal turn count of about 10,000 turns that fits in a humbucker route/cover. Last night I wound one up at about 9,700 turns (I could have gone higher) using MWS 42AWG PE and indeed it will definitely fit in a humbucker cover with room to spare if I trim the flanges of the bobbin. I didn't use so much tension that I would have stretched the wire that thin. I got a DCR reading of 8.45k Ohms, but that's almost worthless information as I had JUST wound the coil and I'm not sure what the room temperature was at the time. 68 degrees F, maybe? I can take another reading tonight.
      9700 turns @ 8.45k seems a little low to me ,but I based my bucker sized 90 fitting the bobbin in a plastic cover ,I never had a source for nickel covers like you can buy now ,& I still don't use them because there 49.2m spacing

The cover could be what was wrong ,I know the plastic covers I use have a slight taper (So the bottom of the cover has a larger opening than when the bobbin it's fitted tightly up in under the cover)
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Sorry for the "Brain Fart" I was thinking 10700 turns ...doh!!!
        9700 turns @8.45k is quite high & probably stretching the wire ,My p-90's with the same wire @ 10000 turns usually reads between 7.8k to 8k

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I failed at taking more measurements last night. I worked straight through on client builds and had to set aside my own projects. I should have more time tonight.

I don't trust that DCR measurement I posted. The coil had JUST come off the winder (at 2000 RPMs or so!) and I don't know what the temperature was when I took it.

I also don't know how it sounds yet, but yes, that's what really matters, of course.

I'm going to try to get something I can measure my tension at winding speed with. I use an Azonic dereeler/tensioner on this winder, and as many of you know, the tension gauge has to be bypassed at full speed or it goes into oscillation. Speed increases winding tension. ...so I'm not REALLY sure how tight I'm winding. Doh! I thought I was at about 20G, but perhaps more?

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            9700 turns @ 8.45k seems a little low to me ,but I based my bucker sized 90 fitting the bobbin in a plastic cover ,I never had a source for nickel covers like you can buy now ,& I still don't use them because there 49.2m spacing

The cover could be what was wrong ,I know the plastic covers I use have a slight taper (So the bottom of the cover has a larger opening than when the bobbin it's fitted tightly up in under the cover)
            Yes, the spacing is a problem for me too. The bobbins (like I used above) with the correct size/shape have 50mm spacing (why?) while the common metal covers for these have the 49.2mm spacing. I can use blank nickel covers and punch or drill the holes so they fit the 50mm bobbin but I wish the bobbins were just 49.2mm to be consistent with the rest of my parts anyway.

PS - just saw these 49.2mm P-90 bobbins. I've never ordered from the company though. Have any of you?
            Got Guitar Parts? : Guitar Jones USA

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
              PS - just saw these 49.2mm P-90 bobbins. I've never ordered from the company though. Have any of you?
              Got Guitar Parts? : Guitar Jones USA

You can try them, but the last order I placed was canceled right away. I had heard they were going out of business, but I don't know. Maybe just from the pickup parts business. Guitar Jones is the US distributor for WSC.

There is someone selling Guitar Jones parts on eBay, so that's the way to go. I've bought a number of things, and the lady running it answers emails and ships quickly.

Pickup Parts, Bridges - Guitar items in gj guitarpart shop store on eBay!

The inventory changes, so check to see what they have. I looked just now and see no P-90 bobbins.

You could build them like this (the StewMac "Modern" P-90 bobbin):

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

You could ask All parts if there p-90 bobbins are 49.2 mm
                At one point a couple years ago I rewound a vintage p-90 for a friend & the bobbin wan falling apart .& I tried to source a vintage spaced bobbin ..I ended up fixing the bobbin with superglue but I think I did find a 49.2 mm bobbin from allparts If i needed it

Comment

I guess imitation is the highest form of flattery..Thanks for coping my design.
                  Bryan Gunsher
                  http://www.bg-pups.com
                  https://www.facebook.com/BGPups

Comment

Originally posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
                    I guess imitation is the highest form of flattery..Thanks for coping my design.
                    Sorry Norcal .But what exactly did I copy THATS YOURS ?
                    Did you design this humbucker cover ?

Comment

Sorry Norcal .But what exactly did I copy THATS YOURS ?
                      Did you design this humbucker cover ?
                      I came up with this design of using this cover with the use of smaller P90 bobbins and baseplates..I had Pat at guitar jones get these made for me originally and when Mojo came out doing parts, David had them made for me. Now Tom works with me to keep my parts supplied for these. These covers would not be at Mojo if I had not gone to them to have them made.
                      This whole design I came up with around 5 years ago..
                      The guys at Mojo can pretty much confirm I'm the originator of this design of these Humbucker sized P90s.
                      Anyone who says they've been making them longer than I have is lying.
                      Bryan Gunsher

Comment

I got Mojo to make these for the Pickup community.
                        Mojotone Nickel Silver Humbucker Cover with 49.2 center holes
                        We have all enjoyed them.
                        Same thing but metal!
                        We all share ideas on here.
                        What is wrong with that?
                        T
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          I got Mojo to make these for the Pickup community.
                          Mojotone Nickel Silver Humbucker Cover with 49.2 center holes
                          We have all enjoyed them.
                          Same thing but metal!
                          We all share ideas on here.
                          What is wrong with that?
                          T
                          Very cool and you'll never see me copy your idea. Actually I don't mind if you make them for yourself.
                          I do mind if people are selling them.
                          When I came up with these, I searched every pickup website and catalog I could get because I wanted make sure it was original.
                          My research proved my design was unique and no one was making anything similar.
                          I was looking for unique design to separate my business and model from all the other models that basically used humbucker parts.
                          I base my living off of these and few other original P90n styled pickups.
                          Bryan Gunsher

Comment

Originally posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
                            Very cool and you'll never see me copy your idea. Actually I don't mind if you make them for yourself.
                            I do mind if people are selling them.
                            When I came up with these, I searched every pickup website and catalog I could get because I wanted make sure it was original.
                            My research proved my design was unique and no one was making anything similar.
                            I was looking for unique design to separate my business and model from all the other models that basically used humbucker parts.
                            I base my living off of these and few other original P90n styled pickups.
                            Everything that is not Patented or Trademarked is shared by all.
                            That is just the nature of the business.
                            As far as I know there are lots of variations of that design.
                            Dream 90 Humbucker SIzed P90 - Black on Black
                            In metal and plastic.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Everything that is not Patented or Trademarked is shared by all.
                              That is just the nature of the business.
                              As far as I know there are lots of variations of that design.
                              Dream 90 Humbucker SIzed P90 - Black on Black
                              In metal and plastic.
                              T
                              Mine were the 1st.
                              I do have patent pend on it..I'm going to talk to my lawyer later or tomorrow about finishing it.
                              Bryan Gunsher

Comment

I'm confused. If you make your living on this design you came up with, why did you let the parts go to one of the biggest pickup parts suppliers in the US as a end-user retail product? The covers look just like a cream EMG cover, to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X