PCB Layout Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCB Layout Software?

I'm looking for recommendations for PCB layout software. Free is best. Board complexity and parts count would be very low, but size would be large. So I'm looking for something that allows large size PCBs, and a limitation on parts count won't hurt me on this project.

I'll be doing my own etching, so Gerber files aren't necessary. I'll just need to be able to print a full size copy of the design.

Here's one potential problem -- I need to design a large board, 4"x12". The parts count will be low, as this will essentially be a mounting board for a parallel array of snap-in capacitors for a bipolar power supply.

The layout of the board is going to be exceptionally simple -- essentially, it will amount to a single layer with three large traces (pos, neg and ground). Eventually I'd like to design a board for another project for a tube HiFi preamp. That project would also have a large PCB and it would be appreciably more complex in terms of parts count and layout.

Any helpful recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Eagle is very popular, but doesn't allow large boards for the free version. If your board is repetitive, which is sounds like it is, you could hack your way around the limitation by piece-mealing the layout together from individual Eagle layouts. The big advantage to Eagle is that everyone uses it, so there's tons of parts for it.

KiCAD is another one that I see alot, but haven't really ever used it. Its open source and does not have a restriction on board size if I remember right.
    -Mike

Comment

Hi Bob
      I use and sell EZRoute2000. It can do 32" X 32" boards. It's on special now for $99.95 US The demo will do all you need except save the schematic and board layouts. Make them and print a copy for your use. You are able to print to any printer in your system as well as make gerbers and excellon drill files in case you need to make a bunch of boards.
      I've used all versions since 1987 and haven't found a need to change. Plus I'm here to offer help and support as needed.
      No pad limitations, pads can be changed as needed, work in imperial or metric in the same layout, create or modify symbols and footprints. Layouts can be copied and pasted making multiple boards easy.

Comment

Hi Bobp
        Have a look here at this Australian site
        AVASofware
        Drawing PCB's - circuits about halfway down.
        A bit of info there
        EasyTrax
        Klunky
        Eagle
        Skem10
        BOARDMAKER
        SCORE
        TCI3
        WinDraft

Comment

Autotrax 1.61 is free on the Protel site, although dated it's a real Pro system, is not crippled in any way, can do 32"x32" boards with unlimited holes and is very intuitive.
          You draw a basic layout on a napkin (well, sort of) and go straight into redrawing that on the PC.
          I went from hand drawn boards in the late 60's to black crepe tape in the 70's to Tango and Autotrax in the late 80's ... until today.
          At this very moment I woke up early (5 AM) to polish a 4xIRFP250, +/-70V 300W/4ohm board design, for a Bass Amp which must go through the door on Friday.
          I'm attaching the layout as an example of what can be done.

I you can't find Atx161 I can send you a copy.
          It will only print directly to HP Laserjets or Deskjets (the generic ones) or to Postscript printers.
          That (file) output can be opened by almost any modern graphics software (Corel, Photoshop, etc.) for further editing.
          I use free GhostScript.
          EDIT: this particular layout you see above is being made on Tango PCB, but Autotrax is very similar, slightly more modern, and has the advantage of being able to output the design as a PCX file, which is a graphic file type (think .gif or similar) which can be opened in practically any graphics package and printed on any printer, modern or old.
          Last edited by J M Fahey; 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hi Bob.
            Re-reading your post, I realize that *for now* you do not even need a *PCB* drawing program, but a general purpose one.
            If all you need are 3 wide parallel black strips, you can use even Paint !!! (Ugh!!)
            To show the holes, you can just draw a single small, white filled circle , of the correct diameter, apply it where you wish, and copy and paste it wherever needed , as many times as you like.
            I have used Corel Draw many times for quick and dirty designs.
            There is even something called "Merlin PCB" (freeware) which is a set of pre-drawn shapes to be used with Corel.
            PS: we deserve to see your finished PCB
            Good luck.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
            X