carlsbro tc60-el34 socket problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carlsbro tc60-el34 socket problem

this amp has new electrolytics and a rebuilt bias section..

when i got the amp it blew an ht fuse, i was using some low draw el34s biased around 25 ma..

i found a faulty 12ax7,replaced it, tested everything else again in my b&k 600 and loaded it back with tubes and a 1/2 amp fuse..

with my hoffman bias meter installed, the amp fired up fine, i let it idle checking both tubes turning the amp on&off,it idled around 25 ma per tube for a half hour at least..

the trannys are cool,no weird noises the el34s warm to the touch..

at this point i plug in a guitar and immediately i see smoke from one el34 socket..

at first i suspect a screen resistor and then notice a slight melted sopt between pins 2 & 3,the sockets do show signs of being hot btw but were like this before this problem..

any idea what i should check next? the screen resistors are 1k-5 watt..

did the socket have some carbon that caused the arce possibly? jcs

Arcing between pins 2 & 3 is fairly common since the heater circuit is probably at or close to ground potential and that B+ right next door is itching to get there, especially with flyback voltage peaks.

In minor cases you can sometimes scrape the carbon off but often a new socket is your best choice.

Don't forget to look at the tube base as well - carbonized paths can form there too.

Mark

Comment

Really, you are better off replacing an arced socket than trying to "save" it.

Did this amp start out life as an EL34 amp? In other words aer BOTH pins 1 and 8 wired together on the EL34 sockets?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

yes it started life as an el34 amp and 1 and 8 are together..

i figure a pair of ceramic sockets are in order,anything better?

any other suggestions or advice?

a good tech friend is going to wire it for me when i can get the amp to him.

Comment

Working...
        X