Padding down 5E3 input for keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padding down 5E3 input for keyboard

My guitar amp is a Weber 5E3 Proluxe. I'd like to be able to use it for practice and low volume gigs with my keyboard (an Alesis QS6.1) but a hot signal from the QS6 and a very touchy volume control on the Proluxe are making it difficult. I'm thinking of building something in a project box to match the two up. Can anyone suggest a pot or resistor that would work well for this purpose? I know the best solution would be a keyboard amp but another piece of gear is honestly not in the cards this month.

Thanks,

thumbs

Nothing wrong with a volume control in a box. A metal box will shield the wiring. Mount a 250k pot in it. The value is not critical, anything from 10k on up would probably work just fine. But a larger one like 250k will be more versatile. I doubt anything will load down the keyboard.

And a couple jacks. Wire the pot up like a simple volume control. The jack from the keyboard - run its tip to the hot end of the control. The jack to the amp - run its tip to the wiper of the control. And the sleeve of each jack being "ground", wire both of those to the low end of the control.

Now one cord from the keyboard to the box, and another cord from box to amp. Voila, volume control in a box.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Proluxe? Is that the "5E3x2"? https://taweber.powweb.com/store/5e3x2_schem.jpg

Looks like it has a 12AX7 in V1. For keys, you could try a lower gain tube like a 5751 (usually rounder and 'darker' than a 12AX7) or a 12AT7, or a 12AY7 - lower gain still. Simple quick'n'easy 'mod'. There ya go.
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Enzo, thanks a lot. I think something like that should fill the bill. I really appreciate the reply.

Tubeswell, I think the 5E3X2 is the "Double Deluxe" or something. Weber's Proluxe is a 5E3 with 6L6 output tubes in fixed bias, a GZ34 rectifier, bigger iron, etc. I changed mine to cathode bias awhile back and am already using a 12AY7 for V1. It's a really nice amp for guitar but still pretty touchy at low volume settings. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

You can even build a custom "Keyboard-only" guitar cable, by wiring the plug that goes into the amp with a 4K7 resistor from hot to ground and a 47K or 100K resistor in series with the hot lug.
          With small resistors (1/8W) it fits nicely within the plug case , which afterwards can be filled with some silicone sealant for mechanical strength.
          Label the "Amp" side plug because *this* cable is directional.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I won't do it again, but we once made a special cable with a tiny trim pot in the shell at one end. Yes, an adjustable cable. Those fat #70 Switchcraft plugs have tons of room for adding stuff if you are of a mind to.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I decided to go with a 250k pot in a project box. Works great and may even have some apps for guitar. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

thumbs

Comment

Working...
              X