Drill Press Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press Belt

I've got one of the harbor freight mini cheapies and the belt broke. Anyone know where I can get a replacement for it.

Those little drill presses use what's called a "3" size belt, by about 28"-29" long. Since you need to replace it, I'd recommend going with the cog-style belt (a 3VX), which bends to a tighter radius and gives better traction around the small motor pulley. That'll give you a little more drilling torque. The trade number would be a 3VX280 (3VX by 28") or 3VX290 (3VX by 29") Here's the McMasters part: McMaster-Carr

Here's a 3L285, which is a standard V-belt (3L by 28.5") and an approximate direct replacement for the original: McMaster-Carr

Some auto parts stores may have these size belts. Otherwise it's McMasters, Graingers, and industrial supply places.

I just noticed that they do make the segmented adjustable-length belts in a "3" size. Those also work nicely on drives with a small motor pulley. McMasters even caries two competing brands: http://www.mcmaster.com/#v-belts/=82fpqg
    I use the Twist-Loc style link belts on several of my larger drill presses, and they work very well. They are more expensive than regular belts, though.

Comment

28.5" and 29" doesn't help me, I need 26".

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
        28.5" and 29" doesn't help me, I need 26".
        harborfreight.com - Vibration Free Link Belt

• Replace worn or broken belts on shop equipment without disassembly
        • Stronger and more vibration-resistant than conventional belts
        • Adjusts for any size setup
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Well, then the belt you need would be a 3VX260 (for the cog belt) or a 3L260 (for a plain V-belt). Do you see how the industry coding works?

The link belts work fine too, but they are about 3 times as expensive.

I have two of the little import tabletop drill presses, a Sterling and a Dayton, and they both measure 28.5". I guess Harbor Freight's version is even cheaper yet!

Comment

I love the link belts, despite the added expense, because they run so quietly and smoothly.

But don't try to use a link belt in a Reeves Variable-Speed Drive. Continuously variable transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
              But don't try to use a link belt in a Reeves Variable-Speed Drive. Continuously variable transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Wow, that's a crazy contraption! People sure come up with some amazing ideas.

We've had some good B super hero names lately... that article has "Variator".

And "Tensitron" in the tension measuring thread.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

And here I was thinking that the link belts weren't as good as normal V belts. Hmm, I'm going to keep this in mind since the drill press at work needs some love (constantly slips because the belts aren't tight enough. Worthless for drilling anything larger than a 1/4" hole). Thanks!
                -Mike

Comment

In my experience, the link belts work very well on many machines, but not all. I have maybe ten machines where I've installed link belts and they run quieter and provide more torque than V-belts. But I also have several machines where I've tried them, didn't like them, and went back to V-Belts. It seems that if the drive is marginal in design, where the V-belt isn't getting enough surface contact to get a good grip, then the link belt will be an improvement. Examples are the drives on most lower priced drill presses, and the drives on most bandsaws. Geometry and physical size limits keep the pulleys smaller than they should be. On these machines, the link belts will run quieter and have better torque.

However, on drives where the pulleys are correctly sized for the power being transmitted, the V-belt will actually have more contact area and will run quieter and carry more torque than the link belt. As examples, I tried link belts on one of my milling machines and on my tablesaw. Both have large, well machined pulleys. On them, the link belts were noisier and slipped more, so I went back to the V-belts.

I definitely recommend them on any of the Taiwan/Chinese made inexpensive drill presses, both single and two-step drives. Also most lower-priced and smaller woodworking machines.

Comment

The Reeves Drive is very widely used in machine tools. For instance, almost all variable-speed (with a speed knob on front) drill presses use Reeves Drive. Like my Delta DP350 drill press and Clausing 5914 lathe.

Comment

I have a link belt on my old Delta table saw, which had been my Father's. The link belt was a great improvement. I never tried a link belt on anything else, but I know that many woodworkers swear by link belts, as the reduced vibration yields a better finish.

And lots of people use link belts so they don't have to disassemble the spindle to change the drive belt on old lathes, such as those from South Bend and Logan.

Comment

The continuously variable transmission or CVT is what's in my Mercedes. Never shifts a gear and just keeps going faster! I love it.
                        www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
                          And here I was thinking that the link belts weren't as good as normal V belts. Hmm, I'm going to keep this in mind since the drill press at work needs some love (constantly slips because the belts aren't tight enough. Worthless for drilling anything larger than a 1/4" hole). Thanks!
                          Is the pivot the motor is mounted on slipping? I'm not sure what you call it, but you have to loosen that and move the motor and tighten it to get the belt tight. Whenever I had belts loosen on drill presses, it was usually that bolt coming lose.

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
                            The continuously variable transmission or CVT is what's in my Mercedes. Never shifts a gear and just keeps going faster! I love it.
                            My Nissan has the same thing. I was wondering how they did that.

Comment

I ended up getting a cog v-belt from an auto parts store that did the trick. WOW, does this thing ever have torque now. I think it could twist a sequoia out of the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X