This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTPG -what is that?

I have tried to find some information about the "over the pond guy" PAF´s . They look very convincing, and there is a lot of talk about these pickups in different forums

I have an email from Bob from OTPG sales, that they can only be purchased from him in the States. Thist is not practical for me as I live in Denmark.
    I would like to try these pickups just to see what the fuzz is all about.
    All that mystique that surrounds these pickups, is it just smart marketing, misuse of the forums, or is it true " that there is an old man in UK",
    who is making the best PAF replicas ever, with his own "homemade" components, exact 50. style alnico magnets etc.
    Somebody suggests that some of You are using some of the same components!
    What is the truth, or is it all a joke or what?
    Please tell me before I order a set an pay more than 200$ in tax,VAT ans shipping from the states, and someone will laugh, because I believed in all this mojo!

Originally posted by Burny123 View Post
    I have tried to find some information about the "over the pond guy" PAF´s . They look very convincing, and there is a lot of talk about these pickups in different forums

I have an email from Bob from OTPG sales, that they can only be purchased from him in the States. Thist is not practical for me as I live in Denmark.
    I would like to try these pickups just to see what the fuzz is all about.
    All that mystique that surrounds these pickups, is it just smart marketing, misuse of the forums, or is it true " that there is an old man in UK",
    who is making the best PAF replicas ever, with his own "homemade" components, exact 50. style alnico magnets etc.
    Somebody suggests that some of You are using some of the same components!
    What is the truth, or is it all a joke or what?
    Please tell me before I order a set an pay more than 200$ in tax,VAT ans shipping from the states, and someone will laugh, because I believed in all this mojo!
    Costing over $ 600,00, I don't think the Mojo is worth that much...

I sige: spar dine penge... de er ikke saa meget hvaert! (sorry if I got it wrong, my Danish is getting rusty)
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

OTPG PAF's

There is indeed a lot of mystery to those that don't know, and a smile on the face's of those who do!!
      In terms of parts, well if you've read previous forum post's, I'm sure you'll realize that this as an area which divides some (in opinion) in terms of authenticity, and the parts supply (if not gleaned from the major retailer's .. usually in the States) is an area which is very personal (ie. marks products apart from each other)...

As a potential purchaser (as opposed to the majority 'hanging' here as makers) the above doesn't help you, but lets you know why very detailed info on product components is not always easy to pin down!!

Like all products available, you'll need to read the reviews / see what people say about the units they've purchased (in the appropriate forum's), and then make your decision ... after all, no 'other' person can tell 'you' what 'you' need / want / desire / have sonic memories of in your head / etc.... It's often sad to say, but many people haven't actually heard (or had in their hands) authentic PAF's ... and the truth is that they were so so variable, that one person's idea of a good one may not be another's!!...as always, buyer beware ...
      Only way I know to judge something you cannot first get in your sticky mits, is to trawl the net for views .. educate yourself as much as possible ... they try and make an educated decision ... then go for it....but be really sure you know what you want first!

As you asked specifically about OTPG, I can confirm that he is (to my knowledge) probably 'the' most knowledgeable person on the pickups you refer to..
      Just as an aside ... he has not ever, at any time, agreed for any other party to be his agent (so forget what a certain person may tell you on the MyLesPaul Forum!)...

Hope this helps..

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post

I sige: spar dine penge... de er ikke saa meget hvaert! (sorry if I got it wrong, my Danish is getting rusty)
        Hey Thanks for Your advise, and Your danish is much better than my Italian

Ciao Nils

Comment

like the first line in Your post! But unfortunately I'm one of them who don't know!!

I build very exacts Les Poul replicas for fun, and until now, I have build my own pickups from old broken
          P90 and T-top pickups (excellent magnets and wire). They are very good, actually so god that I have sold my original PAF!
          Problem is, now even T-tops are expensive and it don't want to take more pickups apart.

So does anyone now is it only possible to buy OTPG -PAF´s form the states?

Comment

Burny123,

As you may have read in my last post, the States isn't the origin of these pickups, and unless there's any spare from previous purchases over there, you could well find that you'd have a very (very) long wait trying to get one from 'that' source!!...sorry to say ... if you are really seriously after one you could PM me and I'll see if any more can be made available ... I'll enquirer on your behalf... and yes, you'll find that closer to source they are nowhere near $600...this is what you get when someone thinks he can make a killing on the back of anothres effort!!!!!

I do hope the moderators are awake! ... I was under the impression it was rather bad form for people (LTKojak!) to post negative comments on other people's efforts (you know too well that everyone will do a google translation)...sorry, but that's just an opinion based on I don't know what circumstances / context (other equipment, etc...which model, etc)..

Comment

Originally posted by nhall View Post
              I do hope the moderators are awake!

Comment

$200 is a reasonable price for boutique PAF-style pickups. Whether or not they have the vintage mojo vibe and other self-delusory qualities (COUGH!)...uh, subjective intangibles is something that can't be disputed in small claims court. -drh
                "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

pay more than 200$ in tax,VAT ans shipping from the states
                  I took the quoted as "in addition to the price of the pickups"

Comment

Originally posted by nhall View Post
                    Burny123,

As you may have read in my last post, the States isn't the origin of these pickups, and unless there's any spare from previous purchases over there, you could well find that you'd have a very (very) long wait trying to get one from 'that' source!!...sorry to say ... if you are really seriously after one you could PM me and I'll see if any more can be made available ... I'll enquirer on your behalf... and yes, you'll find that closer to source they are nowhere near $600...this is what you get when someone thinks he can make a killing on the back of anothres effort!!!!!

I do hope the moderators are awake! ... I was under the impression it was rather bad form for people (LTKojak!) to post negative comments on other people's efforts (you know too well that everyone will do a google translation)...sorry, but that's just an opinion based on I don't know what circumstances / context (other equipment, etc...which model, etc)..
                    Hey, you! Yes YOU! No p'up is worth $600,00 even if it's made by Jesus of Nazareth in person... this is MY opinion, and I'm entitled to have one, so back off!

Here in this very forum you've got world's finest boutique makers that openly talk about their own poducts and the others as well, then you come here and go all hush-hush, secret handshaky about this OTPG, without giving any chance to anybody wanting contact the guy DIRECTLY without going through sect rites initiators or 33th degree Masons.

Until now EVERYTHING I've found about this guy is nothing by HYPE posted by Bobbo the clown because he could make a buck or two selling a set for 'bout $ 650.00 and a pair of "Vintage p'up RINGS" for $ 350.00, plus a waiting line of over six months...

This kind of antics may work for the gullible snob at MLP, but here you just came to the WRONG place to sell the hype, buddy. If you know something we don't spill it out, if not, shut your mouth if you've no idea who are you talking to.
                    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                    Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post

Over Pond Guy old friend of Sam. He first make these 25 year ago and many of his pickup now real PAF! Why you want to know these pickup, there many many many PAF reprica to consider now.
                      Last edited by Sam Lee Guy; 07-22-2010, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Lee Guy View Post
                        Over Pond Guy old friend of Sam. He first make these 25 year ago and many of his pickup now real PAF!
                        Why, did he apply for a patent? (real PAF that is..)

Why you want to know these pickup, there many many many PAF reprica to consider now.
                        Very true. There some good PAF makers right on this forum like Possum and Jon and I think Spence?... I don't remember all those who do PAF replicas. But you can't go wrong with any of them.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

otpg pafs are the best on market, grab them while you can... there is a lot other makers but nothing is like his
                          we all make pickups here, me too, but i tell you we are all little kids comparing to that guy

Comment

I would no more send 600.00 to someone who is a mystery, nor do I know where the money is going and have no idea what the pickups are going to sound like in my guitar, nor and warranty, claimed or otherwise. From what I am getting is this, you send your money to a middle man, then you wait then they send your pickups??? What a load of horse Shit!!! If the dam guy is on the up and up he would be readily available to whoever wants to buy his pickups. OTPG, yeah I want to send him 600.00 right away about as much as I want a boil on my ass the size of an apple..Geeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clown_luthier View Post
                              we are all little kids comparing to that guy
                              You think he really that old?

Comment

Working...
                              X