Need more reverb from a Mesa mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more reverb from a Mesa mark III

I have heard that the reverb on a Mesa mark III is pretty weak but I never imagined it being this weak. I can hear it but there is very little effect. Is there a way to get more reverb other than adding a pedal?

You should check the reverb tank for damage, like a broken or missing spring or a broken wire, etc.

Comment

I have looked at the box and there is no damage or loose wires anywhere. The reverb does work, thres jut not very much of it. I am fairly sure it is working correctly, I am just looking for a little more reverb.

Comment

The Mk's reverbs are not considered the best,but they should be stronger than you describe.They are known for having problems with the ground connection at the chassis.The washer that is in the nut/bolt that makes the physical connection to the chassis becomes oxidated and causes a bad ground contact.Unfortunately you have to remove the circuit board to get at the bolt.Another easier way to remedy this is to solder a small piece of wire from the ground of the RCA jack directly to the chassis.Before doing this,tho,I would check that you dont have a bad driver or recovery tube for the reverb.

Comment

If your Mesa Mark III is used, try to change the reverber tube for a new one.

Comment

Depending upon how old your Mark III is, the springs within the tank might be gummed up with bits of foam.

I bought a IIC last year (originally built 1983?) and its reverb was ridiculously weak. It was my first Mark-series amp, so I assumed that that was just how it was. When I sent it in to Mesa to be re-conditioned, they said that all of those old reverb tanks had some insulation/isolation foam that would self-destruct after a while. The bits of the foam would end up on the springs and totally kill the tank.

So, they dropped in a new tank and now the reverb is quite usable. It's not as good as my Fender deluxe reverb (re-issue), but it's still usable.

I agree that there could be lots of possible reasons for your very weak reverb...but reverb tanks are pretty cheap from accutronics. You might consider replacing the tank.

Chip

Comment

Working...
            X