PRS Dragon 2 Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS Dragon 2 Specs

I hate to ask but I am googled out... I am not reproducing a set but replacing them with hopefully something better.

Anyone know the wire gauge and winds on a set of Dragon 2 pickups.

(I would like to know what they are so I can not do that)
    aka R.A.D --
    Guitar Logistics

i hope this helps
    PRS Pickup spreadsheet - The Forums @ Birds And Moons.com
    but does it really matter what picups are currently in the guitar ,i would be thinking of what sound you want & what kind of music you play & the type of wood that guitar is made of but according to this chart my guess is the bridge is 43 gauge & 42 in the neck pickup
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      i hope this helps
      PRS Pickup spreadsheet - The Forums @ Birds And Moons.com
      but does it really matter what picups are currently in the guitar ,i would be thinking of what sound you want & what kind of music you play & the type of wood that guitar is made of but according to this chart my guess is the bridge is 43 gauge & 42 in the neck pickup

Thanks. I am going to run this through the coil calculator and see what I come up with...

I was hoping someone had had a set through the shop and could help with the details.

Research is important in creating the right pickup.

This is for a customer. I think I know what he is after but I haven't heard the guitar yet. I want to know why they sound like he says they do. Usually I can get a general idea of what they are from the specs. (Thanks to all the info I have learned from this forum). Sometimes it is more than the pickups that are wrong.
      aka R.A.D --
      Guitar Logistics

Comment

Originally posted by restorationad View Post
        Sometimes it is more than the pickups that are wrong.
        No, trust me on this. It's the pickups. I do guitar repair, and one of the things I do often is to replace the pickups in brand new PRS guitars. Very few people seem to care for them.

I play in a band with a guy who just bought three brand new PRS's (a custom 24, a single cut, and something else) and he replaced the pickups in all three guitars. At the very least he changed the bridge pickup.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          No, trust me on this. It's the pickups. I do guitar repair, and one of the things I do often is to replace the pickups in brand new PRS guitars. Very few people seem to care for them.

I play in a band with a guy who just bought three brand new PRS's (a custom 24, a single cut, and something else) and he replaced the pickups in all three guitars. At the very least he changed the bridge pickup.
          See that is what I have heard from my friends that own them. I seriously dislike PRS guitars so I don't run across them much. From what I understand the Dragon 2 is a bad pickup... the original Dragon isn't bad but the 2 is garbage. I wanted to know they did wrong...

anyway I have hope someone has cracked a set and can tell me "what not to do"...

--B
          aka R.A.D --
          Guitar Logistics

Comment

The HFS and vintage neck are bad also. They are nicely made guitars, and the ones I have tried were easy to play (with the right neck shape, I dont like the fat/wide neck), but the pickups just aren't any good. I can't imagine why they are so bland, but they are. My first experience winding a Stew-mac kit came out better, so probably anything you do will too. maybe it's the parts they use... I don't know.

Just copy some Duncans.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

It could be the wire they use.
              I have re-wound a lot of cheap pickups, and about the only change, except more or less turns, is the wire. I got the bright idea of buying some cheaper 42ga wire, and it had about twice as much wire on the spool, & the copper content must have been low. It kinked up real bad and when you were done you couldn't hardly keep it on the bobbin.
              Has anyone else ran across this? The last wire I bought was from MWS. It seems to be great. You get a lot of wire for the price. I probably won't shop anywhere else from now on.
              Terry
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

The HFS and vintage neck are bad also. They are nicely made guitars, and the ones I have tried were easy to play (with the right neck shape, I dont like the fat/wide neck), but the pickups just aren't any good. I can't imagine why they are so bland, but they are. My first experience winding a Stew-mac kit came out better, so probably anything you do will too. maybe it's the parts they use... I don't know.
                I should be fine with what I am planning then.
                Thanks for the info.

Just copy some Duncans.
                Don't give away trade secrets!
                aka R.A.D --
                Guitar Logistics

Comment

Working...
                X