Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Mace VT 2x12 // Sounds like ring modulator, Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Mace VT 2x12 // Sounds like ring modulator, Help!

The Amp and How I use It:
    The Peavey Mace VT is a great amp. Compact (but incredibly heavy!) Reliable (until recently!) and Insanely LOUD! It stays clean at the highest volumes for days, and thats perfect for me. I run it with four power tubes, instead of six because I don't need the extra volume. I generally bi-amp with a Fender Twin Reverb, and I get my break up from that. I play guitar and organ through both, so I use the Peavey to provide more low-end to my tone.

Whats Going On:
    Three weeks ago, my Mace blew a fuse. No big deal, I replaced it - it was fine.
    Worked fine for about a week or so, I did a string of 9 shows with it.
    When I came home and plugged up for band practice, it was everything but fine.
    It has this.. underwater, ring modulator, tremelo bizzaro sound that is baffling.
    There is some kind of frequency, which I have to discovered to be Bb, under every note I play. When I play Bb, the weird sound is not noticeable. I can't play Bb forever!

Trouble Shooting:
    I ran a patch cable from Pre-amp Out to Power Amp In - No change in the ring modulator, weird warble.

I plugged directly into the Power Amp In -- My tone was clear, but extremely quiet.

I read in another thread about flipping the Standby switch when the amp is off for drainage, this did not change anything.

I've tried a different quad in the power tube section, no change.

I ran an instrument cable from Pre-amp Out to another amplifier. Here the ring modulator bizarro sound was still present, so the issue is in the pre-amp.

I dont believe it is the phasor circuit, because I still physically turn it on and off, and increase its intensity.. etc / plus it doesnt have the.. wetness to the tone that phasor provides. But I could totally be wrong about this!

This is as far as I've gotten, and I'm stuck! Any help, advice or information anyone has to offer or impart would be greatly appreciated!

Be well,
    Christian

The power supply can cause those types of modulations when the filter caps allow too much AC ripple. Are the filter caps original to the amp? How old is the amp?

Comment

hmm / I assume they are orginal, I am the 2nd, possibly 3rd owner of this amp. The amp is from 1979. I've tried draining the filter caps, there was no monumental spark / a friend of mine has a meter that I'm going to check into it with. What would it read if it were allowing too much AC ripple?

Comment

It was the filter caps, 60hz issue, had them replaced, now it sounds great

Comment

Working...
        X