All Octal, single channel based on 5D3 circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Octal, single channel based on 5D3 circuit

Hello, I recently built another amp that I thought might be of some interest/help to others here on the forum. I had an old, broken donor hi-fi with a 6V6 push pull amp in it. Having already built a 5E3, I tried a few wrinkles mainly just to learn more about tube amp circuits. I decided to re-use the chassis and make this amp a platform for experimenting. I gutted all the wiring except the filament wires. I enlarged the pre amp socket holes and added octal sockets for a 6SL7 input tube and a 6SN7 paraphase inverter. I changed the 5D3 circuit to single channel with split cathodes on the input and have a blend control on the input triodes (thanks Bruce and Hasserl). There was faulty humdinger which I replaced with a fuse for the secondary filament wiring (thanks RG). I haven't added the fuses for the other secondaries yet. I also used the elevated heater technique by connecting the heaters to the cathode at the power tube socket. It works well, the amp is quiet.

The amp has a warm singing tone, and has more clean headroom than my 5E3 build. Some warned me I might have problems with the paraphase inverter, but it seems to work quite well. The first 6SL7 (used) I tried was microphonic. I have a 6SL7 WGT in there now with no problems. I decided to try point to point with terminal strips to practice lead dress and because an eyelet board would have a real challenge to fit in the old chassis. Another thing I tried was to use carbon comp resistors only where they might add their mojo (per RG's article). Note that I put the indicator lamp last in line in the filament wiring. This has proved to be a bad idea. I have burned out 2 lamps in short order.

One question I have is, the OT has 3 secondary wires (multiple ohms). Two were unused in the original amp. I am now using the original wire and have the other two shrink wrapped. With the same 8 ohm speaker as my 5E3, this amp is a little less loud. Not drastically, but I am curious if there is a simple test I could perform to identify those taps. Any suggestions on this (and the amp in general) are greatly appreciated as always.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5820.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	862750Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5822.JPG
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	862749Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5821.JPG
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	862748Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5819.JPG
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	862747

Exiting build, thanks for sharing.

I always test unknown transformers by connecting a 20VAC transformer that I have to the two primaries, going to the output tubes. Then by measuring the voltage on the secondaries, I can make out what the turn ratios are, and what the impedances will be in a given circuit.

Kind regards, Jake

Comment

Thanks, Jake. I'll see if they have one at my local surplus store and give it a try. Glen

Comment

Working...
      X