6550,6L6,12AX7 and distortion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6550,6L6,12AX7 and distortion question

one of my amps runs 4 6L6's and 4 12AX7's i'm wanting the most distortion i can get and have tubes tht last a while any ideas?

also i have another amp that runs 4 6550's and 3 12AX7's same thing want more distortion and good tubes any help is good help.

Do you play the amps cranked up for distortion or are these master volume amps that never see full volume?
    Do you have any electronic skills and amp experience?

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

If you are using 12AX7's you already have the highest gain dual triodes usually available; switching brands *might* provide a very slight improvement.
      If you want higher distortion with your actual setup the best bet is to add some kind of clean booster after your guitar.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Too little information. Distortion is as much a matter of how the gains stack up as the tubes themselves. It's not about tubes; it's about circuit design...and then and only then do tubes matter.

Comment

Working...
        X