Marshall Artist 3203--fizzy, scratchy distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Artist 3203--fizzy, scratchy distortion

Hi, I bought a used Marshall Artist 3203 head and a 1965a cab a few weeks ago. I really like the overdriven sound of the amp, both on the clean and boost channel, but there's an annoying fizzy, scratchy, kazoo-like sound and cabinet vibration that accompanies it. It sounds like it's a problem with the speakers, but I don't think it is. I connected the cab to my Blues Deluxe and cranked it, and the cab handled it fine--no vibration, no bad sound. I have also tightened all the screws in the cab, so nothing should be vibrating in there. I swapped out the 12AX7 PI in the head with another 12AX7 I had lying around, but that didn't seem to make a noticeable difference. Not really sure what else to do. I've read about the transformer problems these amps have had and I'm hoping that isn't the problem. I don't know what a bad transformer sounds like, or whether it sounds at all. But, if it helps in ruling out a transformer problem, the amp is loud and musical except for the problem sound.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Does the fizz change frequency??? If it does your problem may be crossover distortion which can be fixed with a proper bias. Another thing it could be is a parasitic oscillation. Considering the amps age I would think that new power filters (and possibly tubes) may be in order. Bad filters can cause parasitic oscillations. If you haven't had the amp brought up to snuff with any worn components or tubes replaced, pots, jacks and tube sockets cleaned and retentioned and a proper bias it's going to be hard to tell if there is anything actually wrong.

If you just bought a used car and it ran a little rough you probably wouldn't think 'I wonder what's wrong with this thing'. No, you'd give it a proper tune up and oil change for starters... Same thing.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Chuck. That makes a lot of sense. As far as I know, the head is all original (1986)--at least the tubes and transformers are.

I don't remember noticing if the fizz changes frequency, but I'll check that out.

Thanks also for reminding me that I need to get an oil change.

Comment

Working...
      X