Problem with my 81 Ampeg V3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my 81 Ampeg V3

I have an 81 Ampeg V3. it has the problem that if i switch on the hard setting which is the setting that is supposively the jcm 800 clone setting the distortion doesn't ring out for very long. it kinda falls flat after a while and it sounds as if there was something not working right. it does sound great with a distortion pedal but on it's own it cuts out to early. i switched out the 6550 power tubes but that made no difference. could it be one of the other tubes? bias? speaker? i have only very limited knowledge and understanding of the matter but am very willing to learn and try myself.
    just want to say that i also own a V7 which is the 100 watt head version of this 50 watt combo and the V7 played thru a marshall cab doesn't have that problem
    thx

The old Ampegs didn't have adjustable bias control, so usually a trimpot is added in to compensate for the higher voltages of today and to have the amp running its best.
    It could be a weak preamp tube that isn't amplifying well enough to drive the rest of the amp.
    The filter caps could also be due for replacing if it hasn't been done already.

Comment

hey thx cortez. i'll try to replace the pre-amp tubes and see where that goes. if that doesn't work i'll bring it in the shop cause i love the amp and don't want to repair it kaputt.
      thx

Comment

I have a vl 503 and the rectifier tube was bad it only affected Ch 3 Not 1 or 2 .I would go with the pre amp tubes

Comment

so i replaced all the pre-amp tubes. that brought the second channel back to life. however, i still have a problem with the distortion on channel 2 as it gets really whacky and cuts out early if i put the channel 2 volume above 4. i have also noticed that channel 1 is not as loud. maybe i need to replace the power tubes with new powertubes? the ones i put in were s swetlanas i bought off ebay so they might be just as shot as the jj's that were in there before.
          anybody?

Comment

Working...
          X