This Is The Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is The Day

There I was replacing this surface mount 79L15 in a DIP package (who knew they did that when I wasn't paying attention) with a T0-92 version, bending little legs to lay down on the pads.

Well, as of 3:15 this afternoon my eyes now require corrective lenses for that sort of close work. Could do it without the glasses, but ....

An era has ended.
    My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

I was 35... On this little creek catching my share of trout with a fly rod as evening turned to dusk. At the next pool (the one I always save for this dim light) the trout started to rise. Time to switch from nymphs to dry flies and catch a few on top. Well, I selected a fly and found that in the dim light it was impossible to thread the fine tippet into the hook eye. No problem, I'll just move the fly and line closer to my face... But it didn't get better, it got blurry!!! "OK, so I guess we're doing this now" I thought.

I'm 42 now (and much worse) and I carry slimline reading glasses in my fly vest now.

Of course I also wear glasses when soldering now too.

It happens to the best of us. As a friend of mine (older) says: Better to get there than to NOT get there. Any day on the right side of the grass.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Indeed. As much as getting old sucks it so completely beats the alternative.

Comment

Same here! 43 and anything closer than 14" requires focal help!
        At my real job i noticed that I was having a hard time seeing the part info on smd components which at the time was odd for me.
        My near vision changed so rapidly that it was kind of a shock. just a couple of months from good to what the hell!
        Headaches too started to be common, so off to an eye exam. just prescription readers for now. +1.5 left eye +1.75 right

Comment

FWIW I really like my slimline glasses that I keep in my fly vest (1.75) because they rest low and allow me to use them like bifocals. I'm sure it looks a little goofy but I'm not proud that way.

Chuck

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

What took ya so long??? Next will come the need for more light. I can't see jack-sh*t without my "cheaters" (I've got 'em on now), and surface-mount work requires my "Captain Video Goggles", which is what I call my Opti-Visor with a HB LED set that surrounds the lenses. Pretty funny actually!

After 40 is when you start noticing this, and since I'll be 51 in a couple of weeks, I'm long gone!
            John R. Frondelli
            dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
              Next will come the need for more light.
              Um... Uh... Sometimes I wear one of those headstrap lamps too You know, the ones that look like a miners helmet without the hard hat. But the shadow from my hands gets in the way so I also place a lamp behind the work.

I look pretty good with the slim glasses and headlamp on. Get a Oscope on the table and visitors think I'm a mad scientist

Chuck

Comment

I just ignite the circuit and let it illuminate itself.

John, do you actually know Captain Video (and his Video Rangers) or is that just a term you've heard?

I am collecting Social Security, that's how old I am. When I was a kid, Captain VIdeo was my favorite thing in the world. To this day, I can't hear Wagner's FLying Dutchman without thinking Capt.Video. Same way no one can hear the William Tell overture without thinking Lone Ranger. I have never met another CV fan.

The production values were so incredibly cheap, the console at headquarters was a desk, and they had a microphone to contact the spaceships - it was a drawing of a mic on a piece of wood cut to shape. Now and then the actor would knock it over.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I was complaining about my chronic backache, my own fault thanks to a bad body position at the bench , many hours a day, when this friend told me: "after 40, if nothing hurts it's because you are dead".
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

About the loss of near vision.

When I crossed into the zone I was with a friend driving around Los Angeles looking for a particular sound systems store. We had a paper road map and it was dusk. We soon realized that neither of us could make out the street names on the map any longer. It was a very confusing and frustrating experience.

I have learned that you cannot explain this to a young person who has not gone through the change. They just won't get it.
                    Last edited by Tom Phillips; 08-22-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

When I was 45 a friend of mine told me about his vision had changed to the worse (he's two years older than me) and I didn't bother, since my vision was good at that time. Now I'm 49 and can't decipher the computers keyboard without my glasses (1.5). For soldering I even use 2.0 glasses. But I do share the view of Chuck H's friend:
                      Better to get there than to NOT get there. Any day on the right side of the grass.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
                        What took ya so long??? Next will come the need for more light. I can't see jack-sh*t without my "cheaters" (I've got 'em on now), and surface-mount work requires my "Captain Video Goggles", which is what I call my Opti-Visor with a HB LED set that surrounds the lenses. Pretty funny actually!

After 40 is when you start noticing this, and since I'll be 51 in a couple of weeks, I'm long gone!
                        Hell, I turn 55 next month, so I've had a pretty good run. Now I've always been nearsighted and had excellent close up vision, like could read the micro-printing on the $20 bills when they first started doing that. So it just took longer.

So far it seems this stuff goes in stages. We'll see what stops working next.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                          Get a Oscope on the table and visitors think I'm a mad scientist Chuck
                          When I read this I thought of Dr. Emmett Brown.

Comment

Hi all!

Can you all write your posts using a bigger font? I can't seem to read what you all are "talking" about!

Cheers

Bob
                            Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Can you all write your posts using a bigger font? I can't seem to read what you all are "talking" about!
                              HUUUUUAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA.... that was great.
                              Thanks for enlightening my day, Bob.

Comment

Working...
                              X