Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer PMP5000

Hey enzo.
    I saw in another thread that you are a Behringer service center.
    Ever had to fix one of these PMP5000 powered mixers?
    I have one that the Digital amp basicly caught fire inside the box.
    Burned up a .03 ohm resister and of course knocked out the mosfets.
    Power supply seams ok which is lucky from what I saw from posts on another forum.
    Looks like there was some kind of issue with the layers in the PCB shorting across.
    Anyway I have one that I put on the back shelf because the owner wasn't interested in the repair costs and I gave him $50 for it. Anyway I was planing to convert it to just a mixer. I have designed a power supply that has the +5,+15,-15 and 48V to do just that.
    But am I throwing the baby out with the bath water? Somewhere I read you can buy a replacment amp section for this unit. repairing the original requires grinding out the PCB and drilling out pads and a lot of hullabalo from what Ive seen on this other forum.

You can buy a replacement amp module. Or your authorized service center can buy one for you. Last I looked these were pleasantly inexpensive. I can check Monday.
    My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

I just saw the HCA2400 power amp for $160 at Full COmpass. If the amp burnt up, then check the output connector board - the Speakon board - for shorted triacs across the output.

Mixer only...

Unplug the two main power supply connections to the power amp. There is also a small 6-pin connector from the power amp to the power supply for the low voltages and control signals. UNPLUG that too. Now does the existing power supply come on and fire up the mixer? If it does, why re-invent the wheel? Just use that existing supply for your mixer-only.

It is not enough to just unplug the heavy power wires, the low voltage cable has a shutdown signal if the power isn;t right. SO it has to be off as well.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks ronsonic, please do.
        Thanks enzo. I thought about that as well, I was afraid of just letting the big power supply float.
        The triacs were fine but the traces on the board burned open. it was a fairly cataclysmic failure.
        even at $160 it may be worth the cost. I would just be concerned about it failing again the same way.
        This seems to be a common failure mode from what I've seen on the web.

Comment

Don't confuse two things. It is one thing to say that such and such is usually what happens WHEN an amp fails. That is not at all the same thing as saying such and such usually happens to the amp.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It is one thing to say that such and such is usually what happens WHEN an amp fails. That is not at all the same thing as saying such and such usually happens to the amp.
            True!

Comment

I gave up on a toasted PMX2000.
              Converted it to a preamp/ mixer only.
              I found that the EQ sections did not work this way.
              I had to run jumpers from the EQ to the output jacks.
              Sold the unit to a drummer needing a small mixer for his set.

Comment

Working...
              X