Anyone know about these pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about these pickups?

Sorry for cross posting, but was advised to repost on this forum.

I've got an old double cutaway guitar, probably from the late 60's or early 70's. No name on the guitar anywhere, but the pickup cover has "ISC Audio" on it. No parts numbers, or any other identifying marks.

It has 6 pickups, one for each string. The string passes through the pickup and over the bridge saddle. Originally, there was a single, multipin output that plugged into a recording desk, giving 6 separate outputs from the guitar. The friend from whom I got the guitar (several years ago) had modified it so that all pickups are wired (I think) parallel and go to a normal 1/4" jack output.

One of the pickups (the low E string) needs to be rewound, but I have no idea who could do that. I'm in New Zealand and would prefer to have it done here, but it's not absolutely necessary. Would prefer to keep the pickup setup original as possible and am just starting to hunt around for options.

I'll upload some pics here, that should explain it better than I can.

thanks,

--john
    Attached Files

The body of your guitar looks like a Japanese made Coral/Danelectro that was being sold here in the US as new old stock parts maybe 10-15 years ago.

The pickup/bridge assembly was originally used on the Hammond Innovex Condor guitar back in the late 1960's. There is a multi pin plug that would connect the hex pickup to the control unit that had a number of different effects built in it. Each of the pickup coils was around 200 ohms and were plug-in modules. Each one has two small pins that push into the mounting panel. Maybe your dead one is just loose or dirty?

I know that I have one of these around here. I haven't played with it for years now. It was the first time I'd ever seen a hex pickup for a guitar. I'm sure that it would be a fairly easy rewind for someone to do.

Comment

Thanks, Bill. Yes, the pickup system is as you've described, although it's been changed so that all pickups are now sent to one output jack (1/4"). As you might be able to see in the pics, I've taken the pickup off of the low E string. The windings are pretty much gone, but I do have the complete pickup. It just needs to be rewound. Will test the others for impedence, but knowing it's around 200 ohms helps a lot. It's a tiny thing, and yes, it slides onto the mount with 2 pins for a connection.

--john

Comment

I have one of those guitars! The headstock n mine has a Dano looking brown logo that says "Destiny".
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Ry Cooder gave me four of those guitar/bass/whatever bodies. Someday...!

I think one is going to have to be a mando-cello with a whole lot of frets...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. This one was given to me by a friend, when I still lived in New Mexico. It had a broken peghead, which looked like a cheesy Fender one. I had a luthier friend here in New Zealand make a new peghead for it, and the guitar actually plays very well. Just need to fix this weird little pickup. Here are a couple of pics of the entire guitar...

--john
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
              The pickup/bridge assembly was originally used on the Hammond Innovex Condor guitar back in the late 1960's.
              Good eye! Here's an Ovation Condor.

Ovation Condor Model
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
              X