DC on speaker out, SS amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC on speaker out, SS amp

Is ANY amount of DC on the speaker out problematic no matter how small on a SS amp? I have a fender princeton 650 that is making a cracking sorta sound when loud and i hit the string hard. It only happens when hit hard and the amp is loud enough, and it cracks on the initial attck only. Speker is fine, as i tested it with another. I put a meter on the speaker and it seems to hit 2 VDC when i slam it. Thoughts?

So the dc isn't there all the time, it only appears momentarily?
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

yes

Comment

Probably just your meter registering the AC transient as a DC voltage. If there is no DC at idle I wouldn't worry. Sounds to me like you may have a bad solder connection or cracked solder pad. Some of the Fender SS stuff had problems with solder/cracked pads at the filter caps.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ok, thanks

Comment

An oscilloscope is the only real way to see what its doing when you hit that "note".
            As g-one said a typical VOM doesn't respond very quickly to changing voltages. They tend to sample a lot and average so quick changes are rounded off / averaged out.
            Could be something causing the bias string to recover to slowly causing a DC offset. If it were a leaky cap or transister I would expect that it would tend to stay at the offset. since it settles back to near zero, then it might be something slowing the recovery. Then again it could simply be simple clipping or power supply sag.

Comment

Working...
            X