Mackie/Tapco Thump 18 tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackie/Tapco Thump 18 tip

They must be popular, they are starting to show up.

people call them Mackie, and they have the little stick figure logo, but apparently they are the Tapco brand. There are several in the Thump series. This is about the TH18s. 18" powered subwoofer.

If you get a complaint that they cut out, or pop when played, check the little output filter board where the speaker wires connect.

The rear panel of the thing is the amplifier chassis. Inside there is a rear cover over all. See through the open ends. The connector for the speaker wires is on a small board which is screwed to a side wall. This board in turn plugs onto the edge of the main amp- board at right angles by way of a couple push-on type connectors.

It is my opiniion the problem is caused by the amp board being on the rear panel and the filter board being on the side, that they do not vibrate together. The solder on the connectors is stressed. But regardles of reason, I am finding that the solder on the little push-on connectors is breaking. That interrupts the output path to the speaker. This small board is a few inductors and some stuff.

I also find sometimes the female push-ons have spread and gotten loose.

Just unscrew the cover and the four small allen screws that mount the filter board, and you have access. You have to take the amp apart this way anyway to get at anything else, so check this first. If it is what was wrong, you saved having to screw with the rest of it. and if not, you wasted no time.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.
Working...
X