Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larger eyelets for Brown Concert restoration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger eyelets for Brown Concert restoration?

Hey kindred spirits,

I picked up an old brown Concert basketcase I'm going to restore. It's so far gone I'll have to replace the fiberboard. I have no problem finding eyelets from several sources but they all seem the same small size, much smaller than the eyelets Fender used back-in-the-day. Some of the connections have several component leads with wires that just one of these little eyelets just isn't big enough to fit it all.

Does anyone here know of a source I can buy the right size (bigger) eyelets, either the same ones Fender used, or same size if different?

Thanks,
    John Kelley Brown

I think Hoffman amps has them.

Comment

turretboards dot com has two sizes, depending on thickness of material 1/8" or 1/16". If the size is really oddball, look into a shoe repair place. They have a lot more options. For example, check out the variety here:

Industrial Eyelet

They don't sell retail but they have sizing charts for when you go talk to your local shoe repair guy.

Comment

Yeah, lots of places have eyelets, Hoffman, Mojo, Turretboards, CE Dist, but none of the usual suspects carry the larger diameter eyelets like the blonde era style as used by Fender. I'll have to look further afield.

Comment

Do you have dimensions on the ones you need?

Comment

Darn. I thought you were looking for large eyelets because, like me, old age has made all those tiny things next to impossible to see when soldering. I want "large print edition" 9 pin tube sockets. Those tiny little terminals on the underside always get me running for my reading glasses and an extra 150 watts of halogen light. I may have to just install a 1kw par64 wide (or 2) near my "work bench".

Otherwise, I vote Hoffman. They've always been great to deal with.

Joe

Comment

you might try a Tandy Leather store.

Comment

I understand about the vision thing. The last home I owned I put up sixteen four foot dual florescent fixtures in my garage where the garage walls were painted gloss hospital pure white. When I sold the home the lady who bought it was suspicious I was growing "stuff". That garage had no shadows, but I still needed reading glasses to solder, but all the lights did help.

Since I can't find the larger eyelets from anyone in the tube amp parts market I've done some checking.
                I found this:
                Tag Eyelets
                Industrial Eyelet
                and this:
                http://www.delran.com/eyelet/
                Though I don't want to spend over $300 for an eyelet installation tool. Maybe I'm getting close.

Kelley

Comment

I buy packets of 400 4mm brass eyelets from the local hardware store for $4. Some of the packs come with a free crimping tool, but I just use a hammer and a nail punch on top of my trusty vice
                  Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks Pete, I wish my hardware store had the selection yours does.

Comment

eyelets,brass eyelets,brads and eyelets,curtain eyelets items - Get great deals on Hand Tools, Other DIY Tools items on eBay UK!
                      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
                      X