Edcor Transformers.. Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edcor Transformers.. Opinions?

Has anyone used Edcor trannies in their amps? I'm thinking about trying one out and was looking for opinions before laying out the dough. It's too bad none of their power xfmrs have a 5v winding, I like tube rectifiers.
    Sometimes I'm good, then I'm bad..
    http://www.evacuatedelectronics.com

I am putting # XSE10-4-8K, EDCOR 0710 in my Silverface Champ. It is twice as big as the original.
    Last edited by tboy; 07-01-2008, 11:59 PM. Reason: removed non-functional image tag

Comment

They're no frills no magic ingredients down to earth properly engineered transformers. I used a few different ones in a some one offs with very satisfying results.
      Aleksander Niemand
      Zagray! amp- PG review Aug 2011
      Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise. -Pierre Beaumarchais, playwright (1732-1799)

Comment

I used a GXSE15-4-1.7K in a project. It sounds great! The GXSE's have a screen tap, too, which I setup as switchable with the screen supply already worked up.

As One10 said, they are huge (the 15W even more so.)

Comment

gmoon, I agree. When I purchased mine, they had not made the GSXE series yet. But that is ok, as the one I have goes down to 70 hz, the OT replaced went down to 100hz and the GSXE's go down to 40hz.

My Champ's current tiny speaker has a range of 70hz - 5k and I think guitars tuned to 'E' go only down to about 82hz (normal scale).
          The sound around 100hz should sound better and clearer now.

There are cheap chinese OT's that actually cost more and the quality just isn't there.
          Last edited by One10; 07-02-2008, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I can't give you any fancy 'scope data, etc., but I can show the physical difference between the Edcor GXSE15 and the Hammond (125C) I was using initially...

It's not fair to compare the two, but it illustrates the scale pretty well.
            Attached Files

Comment

That is visually a big difference alright, gmoon and a cool picture.

What's your amp look like?

Comment

@ One10:
                PMed.

Comment

Working...
                X