Cool Pickup Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Pickup Cover

Thought some might get a kick out of this one. I'm building a set of 8 string Tele style pickup bobbins for a lap steel project and this is what I came up with for the neck cover. I made it out of a couple of Mojo's nickle silver 6 string covers. The ends are internally cut out / shaped so as there is no double thickness covering any magnets.

Very Cool! Nice work!

Comment

Looks good.
      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

That would look great on one of those art deco lap steels!
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks all, it is much appreciated. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this whole project pans out. Originally the project was slated as a swamp ash based 6 string, then my customer changed his mind and wanted to go 8 string. Lots of good 8 string pickups out there, but not so much for Tele style so I decided to give it a go.

Comment

Very slick. It's both a great solution to a problem, and it's a wonderful Deco design element.

Comment

yes indeed very slick design cool
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

How did you "attach" the three pieces together? (Solder/Braise/TIG/Epoxy)
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Thanks again all.

RedHouse ... I used a lead free silver bearing soft solder and some tinning paste flux to put it together. I thought about brazing with a jewelers grade hard silver solder, but was concerned that it would be hard to keep it from building up at the seam and make it dificult to clean up the edges.

To get everything sized and tight I made a couple wood forms out of some scrap maple. One piece thicker to match the OD of the stock cover and one to match the ID cut to size and radiused to act as a solid form to work to. After cutting the ends off one cover and shaping, I placed the center section over the large maple form and used my vice to squeeze it all together to increase the ID dimension of the overlapping center piece. I then took the second cover and cut sections off the ends to complete the assembly. With everything set on the final form, I put it back in the vice and snugged it all up.

Comment

Very cool Tom!!
                    Looks even nicer in person.
                    Bryan Gunsher
                    http://www.bg-pups.com
                    https://www.facebook.com/BGPups

Comment

One damn nice-looking piece of clothing!

Comment

Me likey !
                        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Thanks to all!

Comment

Working...
                          X