Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey bandit 65 with 4-10 Speakers ?

Hi all, I new to the forum.. Nice Place you all got here

I've got a peavey bandit 65, and I want to Build a 4-10 Speaker amp using this Bandit 65

Here are the Speakers = CELESTION 30 watts, 16 ohm 10 inch guitar speakers....

I like the sound of 4-10's and I think this Bandit 65 would make a great 410 combo amp
    if I can use it like this, I would Like your take on how to wire these speakers up.

Depending on the amps minimum speaker load, guessing 4 ohms
    and depending on the speakers ohms, guessing 4 ohms
    Then you will series parallel
    AMP + (+) -----^^^^^^------ (-) connect (+) ------^^^^^^---------(-) AMP-
    AMP+ (+) -----^^^^^^------ (-) connect (+) ------^^^^^^---------(-) AMP-
    This will give 4 ohms

Comment

Sorry to disagree but the above series parallel connexion will yield 16 ohms total.
      To get 4 ohms you should wire all 4 (+) terminals together and call it (+) , and all (-) terminals together and call it (-).
      Your Bandit will drive that box *alone*, not in parallel with its internal speaker.
      Post your results, I think sound will be killer.
      Use it fairly loud; at very low (bedroom) levels distortion may sound buzzy; cleans will be *very* good..
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

AMP + (+) -----^^^^^^------ (-) connect (+) ------^^^^^^---------(-) AMP- this is 2, 4 ohm in series = 8 ohm

AMP+ (+) -----^^^^^^------ (-) connect (+) ------^^^^^^---------(-) AMP- this is 2, 4 ohm in series = 8 ohm

2, 8 ohms in parallel is 4 ohms

4, 4 ohm speakers in parallel like you discussed would be 1 ohm

As I said I was assuming 4ohms for each speaker. if they are 16ohm units then you are right.

1/((1/R1+R2)+(1/R3+R4)) series parallel formula
        The hook ups have to be that way to allow proper phase of the speakers
        Last edited by Techknowman; 09-05-2010, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Who sells a variety of 4 ohm 10" speakers for guitar amps??? I think the diagrams should be
          modified for 8 and/or 16 ohm speakers.

The Scorpion s-1225 that most Bandit 65's came with is an 8 ohm speaker. So I'll assume your amp want's an 8 ohm load. I would go with four 8 ohm speakers in a "series/parallel" arrangement. You can fimd it all over the net (avoiding drawing a digram myself). Not that it matters as much with SS amps but there it is. Mine had a Black Widow and I wouldn't have dreamed of changing it. It really did get the most out of the amp IMO.

FWIW the Peavey Bandit 65 got my vote on the "best SS amp" thread. I think they are very good amps overall and IME reliable as hell. I think a 4x10 Bandit 65 would sound GREAT.

Chuck
          Last edited by Chuck H; 09-05-2010, 03:35 AM.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hi friends, I'm not challenging your electronics knowledge, quite the opposite.
            Yet, may I humbly suggest you should re-read the original posting at a somewhat slower pace, so you don't miss:
            EDIT: AFAIK Bandit 65 come with 8 ohm speakers, at least all which I met in person; yet the most popular schematic (admittedly, there are many versions) clearly states a 4 ohm speaker.
            Even if it did not, it still is a reasonable load for a pair of 15A TO3 devices and +/-40V supplies.
            The physical size/weight of the power transformer suggests the same.
            Last but not least, I have routinely added an extra 8 ohm, 12" guitar speaker in parallel (in an external box) with good results.
            Last edited by J M Fahey; 09-05-2010, 04:29 AM. Reason: I also post first and read later, oh well.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

+++
              Had read the post a couple of days ago (and therefore forgotten much of it) so I skipped foreward and only responded to the latest post. But thank you for being vigilant. And yes, 4 ohms seems fine. So, as you noted above, a fully parallel arrangement would be best. All + terminals on one lead and all - terminals on the other.

Chuck
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I missed the
                part or it got edited.
                I was just ASSUMING 4 ohm speakers
                Yep with 16 ohm, 4 paralleled is best. instead of 1 ohm like my diagram shows, it should be 4 ohm.
                Which is good, I thought I was going senil or something. transistor theory i can understand me forgetting but ohms law!

series parallel formula
                1/((1/R1+R2)+(1/R3+R4))
                R1 = Speaker 1 Ohms
                R2 = Speaker 2 Ohms
                R3 = Speaker 3 Ohms
                R4 = Speaker 4 Ohms
                Last edited by Techknowman; 09-05-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

yes the apm sounds Great with the Scorpion s-1225 that came with it,,, 8 ohm's ...

But I beleave it would sound even better with 4-10's...
                  I have found a Place where I can Buy these 4-10 speakers for a great price and there 16 Ohm Speakers..

the speakers are CELESTION G10C30 16 ohm, 10 inch guitar speaker. 30 watts

SO I SHOULD GO WITH THE SETUP CONFIG ON THE LEFT PIC = ???
                  Thank's all
                  Butch
                  Last edited by Butch32218; 09-05-2010, 05:24 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

Now you have two options.
                    1) Wire the speakers as on the left, series parallel, you will get 16 ohms in that box, you can use it *together* with the internal Scorpion Speaker.
                    Total impedance will be about halfway between 4 and 8 ohms, some 5.33 ohms.
                    Quite acceptable, the amp will be louder than before, but the Scorpion will get more than the 4x10". Not bad though.
                    2) Wire all speakers in parallel, 4 ohms, they will be used on their own, (no Scorpion attached). Your choice.
                    Post whatever you do and comment on the sound differences you hear. Thanks.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                    X