A new winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new winder

I'm starting to make a new winder and as it progresses, I'll post pictures on here. Suggestions and mods always welcome and to start it off, here's an optical pulse generator to generate pulses that will count the number of turns on the coil.

This circuit board was rescued from a defunct bandit ands uses a gate from a CD4093 to clean up the pulse from the interruptable opto at the top or the reflective opto switch in the lower part of the photo that has replaced it. The reflective opto part is a CR102 available from Maplin whereas the original is unmarked and probably any LED/photodiode assembly will do.

I don't know which will be used yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1174.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	859558

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	859559

What were you planning to use as a counter?

Ken
    www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken
      What were you planning to use as a counter?

Ken
      I have a few counters bought very cheaply from ebay and although it's total overkill the Hengstler signo 723 is my favourite for this for it's large display and ease of use.

This also has two presets with relay and transistor outputs I can use to stop the motor and will count up or down.

The other counters have their merits too so I haven't forgotten about those just yet - that IVO on the left is amazingly vesatile but is mains powered and I'll already have two D.C. supplies in the machine to suit the motor and control voltages (~24 and 12V).

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	810414

Comment

A couple of motors

Name:	IMG_1275.jpg
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	810415

The motor on the left is a print head motor from an old H.P. printer, about 4000 rpm and would be nice driving a chuck or faceplate via a belt.

The £3 ebay motor on the left is from a scooter or somesuch and would be my preference for a directly driven chuck/faceplate although a belt drive has the advantages of easy motor replacement should your motor go 'tits up' (colloq. = broken) and you will drive a shaft you can put your opto interrupter onto.

Speed control later, C2H5OH permitting.

Rob.

Comment

Speed controller

A pulse width speed controller of mine own design, it'll have a reversing relay and a relay to short out the motor terminal as a brake in the final design.

Don't think I'll bother with the pcb, though looking at the price of the Schatten winder perhaps I should - there's a lot of money in these things!

Rob.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1276.jpg
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	810416

Comment

Working...
          X